Jess172 journal: I want to do it all!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just so long that you don't end up w/20 or more, you should be good.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is going to be a busy week. So of course I'm sick. Yesterday I had to take the oldest to gymnastics class for two hours then do my normal shopping, run home to make dinner and then go to bible school for three hours. We were all tired at the end of the day. My sinuses had been bothering me for a few days but that's normal when ever the weather changes. Well today it's apparently gone into a full blown sinus infection. I hate the way fevers make me feel. I'm helping do the crafts at bible school so I'm just going to take some cold and sinus meds and hope for the best.
Sunday I canned 20 pints of tomatoes! I was hoping to do more canning this week but I'll just have to see how I feel.
The kittens are getting so chunky! The momma cat is taking very good care of them. I'll try to get pics soon.
My rooster has started crowing. He sounds so funny. He sounded like he was choking for a while but he's getting the hang of it, he just sounds a little hoarse. He's still a friendly guy to me but my hubby said that he sometimes tries to flog him first thing in the morning. Not sure what the deal is with that. It's only in the mornings and the rest of the day he is fine.
The ducks have made themselves a small pool on the side of the pond that they like to stay in. It's shallow enough to keep the cat fish out of most of the time. My crazy ducks are afraid of fish. :rolleyes: But at least they will get in the water now.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I went to clean out my chicken coop and found two eggs! :celebrateThey are brown eggs, most likely from my 19 week old RIR's. Won't be too much longer and ill be enjoying some fresh eggs for breakfast.
We turned the guineas out of their grow out pen so they could free range. Those things are crazy! They acted a bit scared to come out at first but got over it quickly. Now they run around all over the property trying to intimidate the ducks, cats, and my dog. It's not working though. The ducks aren't impressed with them and neither are the chickens. The cats ignore them and the dog thinks they are trying to play. When they run at her she runs right back towards them like some kind of game of chicken. They are working hard at eating the bugs so that's a plus.
My tomatoes have all ripened so I've been canning them like crazy. So far I've made several batches of juice, diced tomatoes, and salsa. I'm thinking about doing some pizza sauce next.
The kittens are growing like weeds and have their eyes and ears opened. I've been going out everyday and talking to them and petting them so they stay tame. Hopefully they'll make good mousers.
School is back in session here so I'm trying to get back into a schedule. I'll be glad to add collecting eggs to it soon though!:)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I was late getting my tomatoes in, and so far have had 1 ripe tomato. It didn't make it into the house.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lol. Sounds like my kids. They go out and grab a tomato off the vine and eat it like an apple. I like tomatoes but not that much. I prefer to eat them on a sandwich or with something else.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well I've been trying to finish up canning since almost everything in the garden is about finished. We tilled under all the squash plants a few weeks ago and now we have tons of little squash plants coming up. I wasn't planning a fall garden but I've thinned them out and I'm just going to leave them to see if we can get anything from them before it gets too cold.
More chickens are starting to lay and on a good day I'm getting 7 eggs daily. :celebrate I've got one RIR, all my buff Orpington's, a few white legs horns and 2 Easter eggers laying. I got 3 Easter eggers. 2 have poofy cheeks and one does not. The one with poofy cheeks is laying beautiful bluish green eggs. The smooth faced one lays brown eggs with white specks :\ Heres hoping the other poofy lays pretty eggs too.
I'm thinking seriously about raising meat rabbits starting next spring. I'll be doing lots of research this winter before I make my final decision though. Also thinking of meat chickens. The chicken and well all the meat actually, keeps getting more expensive and the quality keeps going down. We caught some big catfish out of our pond over the weekend and froze the meat for a fish fry we are wanting to have. Hubby got some squirrels too so it was a good weekend.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
It's always good when you put food in the freezer.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today I made some white bread from scratch. It was quite the accomplishment for me since I haven't made any in over 10 years. It turned out good and I'm having it tonight with potato soup. It's too warm out to be having soup but I've been wanting it all week so that's what I'm cooking. I got 18 eggs today! The hens are laying pretty regularly now so I'm able to give eggs away to family, which was the plan to begin with. The ducks haven't started laying yet. Neither have the guineas, which we are down to 11 now. We stated with 17. One day 3 didn't come home, never to be seen or heard of again. Just recently 3 were killed in one night by a mystery predator. We locked them up the following nights and went out and checked them about 3:30 am the next morning when they were squaking and we heard an owl. They have since decided that they don't want to come home at night and moved to roosting in the barn with the horses. Crazy birds. We shall see how much longer they last.

Latest posts