Jess172 journal: I want to do it all!

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bad news.....
Before I went to bed last night I checked on my chicks. All seemed well. They were all running around playing and eating. The brooder and water were clean. I get up this morning to find the chicks had nearly filled both waterers with pine chips. Then I see the pasty butt.... I immediately clean the water and start soaking butts. Looks like 4 of the 24 chicks got pasty butt. Got the first 3 chicks cleaned off just fine with much protesting from them but when I picked up #4 I knew things were bad. She was so weak :( i cleaned her off and she started pooping but I guess it was too late. She wouldn't eat or drink or even stand up and died within an hour. :hit I know this is part of raising animals. Still can't help but feel guilty I didn't catch it in time. So now I'm on butt guard duty. About every 6 hours I'm having a close up chicken butt inspection. Also going to pick up some apple cider vinegar to add to the water. I don't think it's too hot in the brooder as they are spread out nicely. It's very likely that they got chilled during shipment which supposedly can cause pasty butt. I've been reading up on it since its a problem I'm having right now but there are so many contradictory opinions on how to treat and the exact cause on it. I'll just do the best I can and hope for the best.

In other news, my lil one seems much better today. She still got up early but it wasn't to vomit this time. She did have a slight upset stomach but it soon passed and she's been fine ever since. Haven't got to use the tiller yet but my hubby has been playing with it all day. Maybe I'll get a turn eventually. :rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Take my advice, let hubby play w/the tiller. :hide

Sorry you're having problems w/your chicks, but glad your lil one is doing better.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm getting ducks in a couple of weeks and I've been trying to convince the hubby that we need 2 geese as well. He just about had me convinced to wait until next year to get them since we are getting so many other animals this year and then look who showed up in my pond this morning!!!!
image.jpg

Who knows how long they will stick around. They probably just stopped by on their way else where but I'm going to enjoy them while they are here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh cool! When I went out ot feed this morning I saw that our Pilgrim eggs have started hatching. Mama was being soooooooooo protective that I couldn't even get a good count. Hope these stick around for you - they look so nice on the pond!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I don't know that Canada geese actually count! :lol:

Last edited:

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They count in my mind lol I wanted geese and I got 'em....sort of :gigEven if it was only for a few hours.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
There's 2 at the farm I'd be more than willing to send to you. I wouldn't miss them in the least! (Of course, I'm not sure what RU would say if I gave away her geese. :hide)

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I could trade you an annoying beagle pup who apparently likes to chase geese for the two you have. My hubby and the kiddos wouldn't be too happy with me though. Especially the hubby. The pup was supposed to be the kids pet but he ended up being the hubby's best buddy. Going to have to break him of the chasing critters habit. I'd be very unhappy if he goes after my ducks.

Jess172

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I had a pig, and a cow ready to be processed right now.

I went to the grocery store earlier to get some pork chops for supper. Came home fired up the grill and went to open the pork chops to get them seasoned. Ugh!:sick They stunk soooo bad! They looked ok in the package and had a sell by date of 3/31 so I guess they just went bad for some reason. This isn't the first time this has happened to me from this particular large chain store. I've learned my lesson. Won't buy meat there again. I took the chops back and the lady at customer service asked if I just wanted to exchange them for another package of chops. No thanks! I got my money back and went to a different store. With all the recalls on food and buying spoiled food from the store it just makes me all the more invested in growing and raising my own food. I see a cow and pig in my future. Not this year and maybe not the next but it will happen eventually. I'd feel much better knowing how the animal was raised and processing myself.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
We had some venison given to us, so we've been eating that. I've thought about a pig, but w/it just being the 2 of us, I'm not sure that we'd eat a whole pig in a year unless we got a pot belly. And I've heard they don't make the best bacon. Gotta have bacon!