Joel Salatin and self sufficiency

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
farm_mom said:
It takes a lot of time to take a ruined piece of land and turn it into the haven, and the multi-million dollar operation that it is today!
It does take a lot of time to turn bad land around. We took over "the family farm" that DH's father had run to the ground. We are happy to say that with time and energy things are greatly improved and crops are doing well. The only fertilizers we use are for starter fertilizer on the corn, as it does greatly improve the start of the corn. Maybe one day we will have things turned around well enough not to need that either. :fl

Good luck with your new venture, Beekissed!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Beekissed wrote:

Nah, the real truth TO THEM is that this is not life. Life comes from a grocery store. You can't argue truly with their way of thinking.

I have 2 brothers....one is "tolerant" of animals and lives in a neighborhood and "never" thinks green" or anything, (making tons of money)

the other is worse ...haha...worse...hates animals and NEVER wants to know where his "survival" food comes from or anything else...he thinks people were put on this earth to supply him food...arrogant? nuts? in his own world? --heck I don't know..LOL

they both think I am nuts, farming..LOL

:)
You wanna hear what daughter said to me? Now - the history is that when she and her brother were growing up I lived in a semi-suburban town (there were cows across the street!) in a townhouse development. It's only very recently that I have the land to be able to do any of the self-sufficient things I've wanted to do my entire life...but for reasons of having to live close enough to a good-enough paying job for hubby...had to live in a pricey area..and that was all we could get. So....

The other house on the property where I live now is down close by the woodlot where we store and prep wood for burning. Well, she was out there with her little girl and I was working. I made a comment to my little g-daughter saying, "Are you gonna be a farmer?" My daughter said, no - there's a reason for cities - they are city girls and you don't have to work like that there. I told her this was how I grew up - you WORKED. She said and I quote:

"I want to thank you for providing me with a lifestyle where I didn't ever have to do that."

:th

I'm a failure. :/

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
You are not a failure :hugs

My observation is that it skips a generation in many cases. My oldest DD is a city girl, she's not happy unless her nails are done and she is wearing a dress and heels.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
You are not a failure :hugs

My observation is that it skips a generation in many cases. My oldest DD is a city girl, she's not happy unless her nails are done and she is wearing a dress and heels.
HAHA!! When I think my nails are "done" it's because I've boogered them up out in the garden!

Thanks for the hugs, Zenbirder!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yes, I have a son who has no desire right now to live anywhere in the country, nor does he care about natural foods, etc.

BUT.....I did teach him a lot of SS things and he doesn't hesitate to employ them and he is now seeing the wisdom(and I never, ever thought he would! :he ) of a more natural, frugal existence. He is contemplating marriage and I know, when he gets kids, he will start to remember country life and how cool it was when he was a kid.....

Every seed planted, every little pebble tossed.....it can have a ripple effect that you never dreamed! Just keep tossin' those pebbles! :)

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I don't even think it's generational- my sister who was only a year older, never lived outside a city, never even had a pet, and could kill a house plant by looking at it.
I, on the other hand, escaped from the city as soon as I can, think manure is your reward for taking care of your animals and will try anyway to grow anything.
I was always "yahoo" to her "ewwee." :lol:

It's strictly a gene thing................

All I can say is Bless those who love the city and thank you for staying there. :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
LOL Jenna

that is wild what your daughter said.....yup some people just feel that way and ya know, I don't begrudge them that actually. My brothers recycle, do re-use and re-purpose, but to a small level. They don't take it far as I do.....so I guess even if they are doing a little, it sure is better than nothing.

Everyone makes contributions, to some, they just think us insane to work when we don't have too...buy from a grocery vs. growing your own. There are some that will NEVER put there hands in dirt while alive on this planet.....hey that is cool.....I just say everyone is allowed their thoughts.

But more are coming to our more SS ways.....I see it cause with financial problems happening in this world......people want the backyard garden again, they want to reuse more than buy new, etc. etc......so good comes in round about ways!

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This guy I (unfortunately) share an office with was just marveling today at how much I make myself. I have never seen him eat anything that didn't come from McDonalds or out of a box. Then I said something about how we're planning on eating the chickens we're raising. His response: "I don't want to have any idea of where my food comes from." This is also the guy who THREW AWAY all of his old furniture when he recently moved so that he could buy new stuff, talks incessantly about watching his weight, and had his bank call him at least 3 TIMES today because he was trying to buy something that he didn't have the money for. (Honestly, I could go on for pages on all the ways he represents everything I dislike about the general culture.) :he And I'm stuck in a 15x18 office with him. I must have built up some bad karma somewhere! ;)

ETA: He makes me wish for the destruction of society as we know it because he wouldn't last a day without all the conveniences of modern life. Whew!! OK, now I'm done! :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:yuckyuck

And you share an office! Ugh, you must have done something bad in your former life.HA HA HA