John C. Campbell Folk School

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of it or taken a class there? Each year I get the catalog and then spend weeks dreaming about all the classes I'd like to take. I can't quite afford it though, but eventually my sister and I would love to take a class there every year. They offer so many kinds of classes!! I wish I could actually get a degree from there. How cool would it be to have a degree in folk art? :lol:
John C. Campbell Folk School

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh wow! Sooo coool!! I would like to take everything! I actually have a mysterious Campbell ancestor that we have been unable to find anything about. We figure she must have been born in either Scotland or Ireland but aren't sure which.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do the same thing! I read about it in an in-flight magazine several years ago, and have wanted to go ever since. Just have never found them time or money. It sounds awesome tho!

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I'd love to take the Autumn Hearth one: Prepare seasonal specialties the old-fashioned way as you make friends with spit and spurtle, pot and pipkin. Heritage dishes include Jugged Hare, Quail Pie, Carolina Snowballs, and Forced Pumpkin (recipes which translate well from fireplace to modern kitchen). Well also relax by the fire to create traditional kitchen tools of wood, gourd, and straw. All levels welcome; experienced cooks are challenged with newly-researched recipes.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I'd love to take the Autumn Hearth one: Prepare seasonal specialties the old-fashioned way as you make friends with spit and spurtle, pot and pipkin. Heritage dishes include Jugged Hare, Quail Pie, Carolina Snowballs, and Forced Pumpkin (recipes which translate well from fireplace to modern kitchen). Well also relax by the fire to create traditional kitchen tools of wood, gourd, and straw. All levels welcome; experienced cooks are challenged with newly-researched recipes.
Old Sturbridge Village in Mass. offers a hearth cooking class that is $$$$$ but tempting. This one looks even more comprehensive though. So worth a trip down there someday! Someday!!