Jumping the gun

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I may have jumped the gun a little bit. Today I planted okra, butternut squash and herbs. I'm a week or so ahead of Texas A&M guidelines for the area. Sunday I planted bluelake pole beans....on schedule with A&M.

On a side note: I don't have enough room for all the things I want to plant. Will pole beans and peppers grow in 5 gallon pots?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No real help here. I've planted peppers in containers but my containers were 30 gallons and they did fine. I can't think of a reason not to try. Maybe feed them a dilute compost/manure tea fairly often? Hopefully others with more container garden experience will chime in.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So I may have jumped the gun a little bit. Today I planted okra, butternut squash and herbs. I'm a week or so ahead of Texas A&M guidelines for the area. Sunday I planted bluelake pole beans....on schedule with A&M.

On a side note: I don't have enough room for all the things I want to plant. Will pole beans and peppers grow in 5 gallon pots?

Dude you killing me... To freaking wet to till, simplistic reality... You can't till mud. And our temps are still dropping into the lower to mid 30's at night. I haven't even gotten my spring / fall garden even tilled yet let alone seeded. I haven't even began to think about the summer garden besides my tomato and pepper seedlings are ready to be set out already :(

Screenshot_2018-03-26-23-31-22.png

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, they will both grow in pots. Neither have excessive root that would be an issue. Just keep them fed....manure tea works.
Also watering -- not just to water but to also not have too much, so drain holes at bottoms or they rot.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tilling is my garden friend... I till up the entire garden, stake off my rows and plant. Then I till in-between the rows to kill off weeds several times a season. Also if I'm going to amend the soil with whatever I till that in also. I couldn't garden without my trusty troy-built tiller.