Just getting started in GA.....

ourlittlezoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to posting here, I've been reading up on all your amazing posts, learning lots of new stuff and being inspired by your great examples!

My husband and I have 7 acres in rural-ish GA - we can see the mountains from our yard! - we have dogs, cats, bunnies, guinea pigs, hamsters, turtles, ten chickens with more on the way and two goats on the way too.

Last year we had our own small garden at our old house with veggies and this year we are taking the opportunity of our larger yard to expand and grow more and plant some fruit too.

We'd love to do more, my onions, potatoes and leeks were an unmitigated disaster last year, I'm a newbie and need help, so if anyone can offer advice it would be gratefully received.

I can't wait for spring to really set in, it's still cold here. Roll on summer, I love it!

ourlittlezoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a happy girl, I have a sick chicken in my garage right now, with a rooster-inflicted injury (anyone want a surplus rooster?!) and she's doing so well, the wound is healing nicely AND she just laid me an egg! Way to go Blondie! :D

Now I can make my Braided Egg Bread for hubby - love the fresh homemade stuff, it's the best bit of SS!

Patch of Heaven Farm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome from Mississippi!

Oh and I would be having some fresh chicken with that bread! ;)

ourlittlezoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ohhhh noooo..... I know it goes against the norm, but I can't keep animals I plan to kill and eat, only those from which I get something indirectly, like eggs from chickens and milk from goats. Crazy, I know. I'm pretty much vegetarian anyway, so I don't miss it. I can't eat anything I've given a name to.

My hubby is resigned to this, and my father in law gets endless amusement and taunting ammunition from it.

I guess it's just me. :rolleyes:

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Don't worry, I can't see eating anything that I've named either.

The plan for me is to have a couple chickens for pets for my kids and the rest will have to settle for "here chick, chick, chick,chick,chick."

I like my dishes to have names, not the animals I eat. LOL

ourlittlezoo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank goodness I'm not alone in having a problem with that!! Soon though I'll have too many chickens for them to all have names, what then I wonder??!