just noticed my straight bladed shovel is starting to crack (on the blade).

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wah! i get a lot of use out of this shovel so it has well paid for itself many times over the years but still...

i will probably get another five years out of it. i think i can start budgeting for a new one now...

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cracked blade or handle? Fiberglass or wood handle?

metal blade, edited to add that tks. :) right at the weak spot where the crease from the handle is made where it transforms into the flat part. in our heavy clay soil i often knock the clay off by pounding it on the ground first before scraping whatever is left sticking with a knife or trowel or a stick... i may have just pounded it a bit too much and it told me in no uncertain terms that such abuse was no longer welcome. i shall take this lesson with me to apply to other of the shoveldom kingdom too...

it is a Rigid shovel, wood handle, very sturdy. i've had it a long time now. i use it to scrape ice and snow too at times. most used shovel i have. will buy another one no problem, wasn't that expensive.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good tools are missed when they finally fall apart. I just brought some of my Dad's old tools home. He died 8 years ago, but I found them in the garage. The best already got picked but I chose every one I could find that needed new handles (something my dad would have fixed if he was still around to do so.) I got two axes, a hoe, 2 shovels, and a 3 tuned, curved garden fork. I'm looking forward to fixing them, sharpening them, and using them again.

@flowerbug I hope you are able to find a shovel that lasts as long as your previous one did.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good tools are missed when they finally fall apart. I just brought some of my Dad's old tools home. He died 8 years ago, but I found them in the garage. The best already got picked but I chose every one I could find that needed new handles (something my dad would have fixed if he was still around to do so.) I got two axes, a hoe, 2 shovels, and a 3 tuned, curved garden fork. I'm looking forward to fixing them, sharpening them, and using them again.

@flowerbug I hope you are able to find a shovel that lasts as long as your previous one did.

i'm sure they still make them. :) i hate change... i have five years to plan for it so the change should just be bearable. :) i hope you enjoy the process of fixing those tools and then using them. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today's tool of choice was a large can used to scoop pea gravel out of a trench. :)

@SprigOfTheLivingDead how are all your babies doing? all settled in for the winter? got the banana trees in?

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
today's tool of choice was a large can used to scoop pea gravel out of a trench. :)

@SprigOfTheLivingDead how are all your babies doing? all settled in for the winter? got the banana trees in?

Banana trees are all inside. Some are in my furnace room and others are planted in pots since they seemed to small to overwimter out of soil. Hopefully they all bounce back in the spring :)

Latest posts