just noticed my straight bladed shovel is starting to crack (on the blade).

flowerbug

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wah! i get a lot of use out of this shovel so it has well paid for itself many times over the years but still...

i will probably get another five years out of it. i think i can start budgeting for a new one now...

flowerbug

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cracked blade or handle? Fiberglass or wood handle?
metal blade, edited to add that tks. :) right at the weak spot where the crease from the handle is made where it transforms into the flat part. in our heavy clay soil i often knock the clay off by pounding it on the ground first before scraping whatever is left sticking with a knife or trowel or a stick... i may have just pounded it a bit too much and it told me in no uncertain terms that such abuse was no longer welcome. i shall take this lesson with me to apply to other of the shoveldom kingdom too...

it is a Rigid shovel, wood handle, very sturdy. i've had it a long time now. i use it to scrape ice and snow too at times. most used shovel i have. will buy another one no problem, wasn't that expensive.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Good tools are missed when they finally fall apart. I just brought some of my Dad's old tools home. He died 8 years ago, but I found them in the garage. The best already got picked but I chose every one I could find that needed new handles (something my dad would have fixed if he was still around to do so.) I got two axes, a hoe, 2 shovels, and a 3 tuned, curved garden fork. I'm looking forward to fixing them, sharpening them, and using them again.

@flowerbug I hope you are able to find a shovel that lasts as long as your previous one did.

flowerbug

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good tools are missed when they finally fall apart. I just brought some of my Dad's old tools home. He died 8 years ago, but I found them in the garage. The best already got picked but I chose every one I could find that needed new handles (something my dad would have fixed if he was still around to do so.) I got two axes, a hoe, 2 shovels, and a 3 tuned, curved garden fork. I'm looking forward to fixing them, sharpening them, and using them again.

@flowerbug I hope you are able to find a shovel that lasts as long as your previous one did.
i'm sure they still make them. :) i hate change... i have five years to plan for it so the change should just be bearable. :) i hope you enjoy the process of fixing those tools and then using them. :)

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a roundpoint one that is cracking vertically on the handle and then across the blade where yours is. One of these days it'll disappoint me in a moment of need

flowerbug

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
today's tool of choice was a large can used to scoop pea gravel out of a trench. :)

@SprigOfTheLivingDead how are all your babies doing? all settled in for the winter? got the banana trees in?