Just outside Eden

DebLewis

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi ... thanks for adding me to your community. We have recently bought 25 hectares (about 60 acres) just outside a town called Eden on the far south coast of NSW, Australia. I love this place, it has an enclosed fruit orchard, and two enclosed veggie patches. I would like to grow as much as possible of the food we eat. (We also have chickens ... though still struggling to even contemplate them being our source of meat ... despite us being regular chicken eaters). I found this site via Backyard Chickens ... so already signed up there! I am very interested in the Back to Eden gardening methodology, and fortunately about 75% of our land is regrowth logging, so we have lots of wood to play with. My favourite "big boys toy" is my wood chipper (closely followed by our wood splitter that is proving gold now that we are in winter here!). Although our nut farm has yet to produce a crop for us (we moved in last November) ... we have had a wide variety of fruit and veg including ... Cherries, Peach, Nectarine, Apricot, Nashi Pear, Fig, Mulberries, Raspberries, Strawberries, Brassica (all sorts), tomatoes, tomatillo, kiwi fruit, kiwi berry. My favourite volunteer "crop" so far is my saffron. I am so loving this! ... and look forward to hearing/reading words of wisdom from you all. Once again, thanks for adding me.

DebLewis

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks ... i love sharing ... will post pics when i can

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Wow, that sounds amazing! I would love to see photos too! I'm interested in Back to Eden (BTE) style gardening, but don't have a wood chip source. Wow! What a resource you have there!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to SS! :frow Your place sounds amazing and x3 on the pics please :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey! Welcome to SS! I am so glad that you have joined us, can't wait to see pictures of your farm. It is hard to butcher chickens, but it will get easier. I put mine in a cone, cut their throat and let them bleed out. After research, it seemed the most humane way to dispatch them. I also say a prayer over each one, thanking them for giving up their life so that we can eat good food.

We have just raised 3 pigs and home butchered 2 of them so far. It's a neighborhood thing, 3 of us went together on feed and such.

Again, welcome and can't wait to hear more!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! We raise our own chickens, turkeys and pigs for meat. Knowing they had a good life and were dispatched humanely makes it easier to handle the idea. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey!