Just reminded why I love my dehydrator so much

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Last night I noticed that some celery and bell peppers I had were begining to look a little sorry. I knew I did not have a plan to use them asap so I sliced them up, putting the best in the dehydrator and the rest in my freezer soup makings container.
Now I admit it would be best to only buy what I will use timely but so many good buys are in packages. Composting is OK but I rather have them when I need them.
Now I have two little jars of dehydrated bell peppers and celery to use when I need it.
Such things make me happy. :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I am not a big celery fan so it irks me to have to buy more than I need. My son won't eat it. My husband rarely eats it as a snack. That's a great idea for me to use on the left overs if I just need a little bit for a recipe! Thanks for sharing!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What a great idea. I never even thought of the dehydrator. Sometmes I think my chickens and worms eat way too good. All the parts and pieces leftover. I should dehydrate them.

Thanks!!!:D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are smart....it is one of the "use it up" challenge before it goes to waste. I hate having to buy more also. Nicole and Tony do not like celery and I have to get that big stalk....ugh...but I make sure I eat it all myself..LOL

I gotta start thinking dehydrator...so many possibilities for it and I just haven't had time to look into getting one or learning how....even though I got great tips from the board about drying!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
I am not a big celery fan so it irks me to have to buy more than I need. My son won't eat it. My husband rarely eats it as a snack. That's a great idea for me to use on the left overs if I just need a little bit for a recipe! Thanks for sharing!!
I pretty much only use celery when cooking in the crock pot. Soups and stews all get a few sticks of celery - I remove them when its done, along with all the sticks from the herbs :lol:

supermom

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I use my dehydrater all the time, but I'm trying to find out how to dehydrate eggs. I get so many eggs that I would love to preserve them for the summer when I don't get many. I once read that you can dehydrate raw eggs, but I can't find the site that I read that on. Can anyone give me advise on this?

OkieJonesClan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing your great idea! I never would have thought of it and I have 2 packages of celery that need something done with them soon. We are in a produce co-op, so we get some things more than we would normally purchase on our own. You have saved me from wasting some great celery! Thank you so much :weee

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
Henrietta23 said:
I pretty much only use celery when cooking in the crock pot. Soups and stews all get a few sticks of celery - I remove them when its done, along with all the sticks from the herbs :lol:
:lol: I thought it was just me!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
supermom said:
I use my dehydrater all the time, but I'm trying to find out how to dehydrate eggs. I get so many eggs that I would love to preserve them for the summer when I don't get many. I once read that you can dehydrate raw eggs, but I can't find the site that I read that on. Can anyone give me advise on this?
Do a search on the Mother Earth News site, there are articles on preserving eggs. You probably know this, but if you don't wash them they will store in the fridge for a LOOOOONG time, like 4 months. I've frozen them in ice cube trays, stirring the yokes a bit, and used them in baking. I know that is not the answer you were looking for, sorry!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
supermom said:
This came off of the tree of liberty website (never heard of just searched for you :))
I am in NO WAY saying this is safe to do, because the general opinion is it should not be done at home.
Here is what I found, I would run the idea by your local extension office for advice.
"I have been dehydrating my eggs for YEARS (and we haven't died yet!)....Break eggs into a bowl and whisk yolk and white together. Spread this onto a very lightly greased fruit leather tray for a dehydrator. Dehydrate at 145 degrees (this is where the pasturization comes in) for 4-5 HOURS. Finish dehydrating until brittle, cool, and whiz up in a blender to a powder. Vaccum seal and keep opened packages in the fridge. 1 tbsp powder + 1 tbsp water = 1 egg. I use my powdered eggs in the winter especially for baking. I'll hardly ever buy eggs except if we want a few fresh for soft boiled"
Just whisk the yolk and egg together (you can do this in a blender) As to how many eggs to dry on one tray...depends on your dryer. I just pour from the blender but don't make it TOO thick or it will take forever to dry. When I package the dried eggs into the vaccum sealer packages, I usually keep track of how many Tbsp I put in it (say like 12) and I write it on the package so I know how many "eggs" I'll be using.