Just saw on the news.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw this on television and had to share it with you all. There is some fella that wants to stop people from hanging their laundry out side. Can you believe that! As crazy as it sounds it's true. They interviewed the man. Can't remember his name. Just that he doesn't want people to hang their clothes out. He thinks it is unsightly.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There's always one in every crowd...LOL
Alot of housing associations and townhouses, etc. will not allow it, along with other restrictions.

hmm...what's next that someone doesn't like?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good luck with that!! I can think of a lot of things that look worse than laundry on the line!!

Joebwe25

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I Like seeing laundry being hung out. Underwear is another story...

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Omgosh, this sure brings back memories. When I was in the 9th grade, in Civics class, we had to do "current events" each Friday. Every student had to clip a news article and stand up in front of the class and read it or give a report on it.

One Friday a classmate, Rebecca, brought an article about a woman in a subdivision whose neighbors were giving her a hard time about her outside laundry! The neighbors were just complaining. There was no ordinance against it, so they couldn't do anything about. I mainly only remember the last part of the article because I thought it was funny. The lady in question commented, "I've started hanging my undergarments inside a pillow case."

I thought that was really cute. LOL

Cassandra

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Back when we lived in Northern Virginia you couldn't hank your laundry out. It violated the neighborhood covenants.

My Grandma never hung her laundry out on Sundays. She was downright shocked when my uncles new wife hung out the laundry before church. New Wife replied, "Cleanliness is next to Godliness!"

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
When I was a little kid in germany, everyone in the apartment building had a turn at wash days. The backyard had racks of clothes lines, under the clothes lines was lawn. The women would put their white sheets down on the lawn to bleach them after they hung all the other laundry up on the lines. I used to get into trouble for running in between the sheets laying on the grass. I guess sometimes I missed the space in between the sheets and left my little footprint on a newly laundered sheet. OOps.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
In Texas, the home owners association would not let you hang clothes outdoors IF they could be seen over the 6' high fencing. So we just made sure the lines weren't taller than that. It was a challenge hanging heavy items so they wouldn't drag on the ground. Nothing worse than clean clothes covered with fire ants. :eek:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just reinforces my notion that Americans have become a bunch of whiney complainers with nothing better to do than mind someone else's business. The man needs to get a life...maybe two!

I think I'm the most irritated by threads on BYC from people who ask what they should do about the neighbor's dog, cat, cow, etc. that appears to be unhappy, have a sore, is alone during the day, etc. Should I call Animal Control, the police or the animal shelter, etc.?

Since when is our neighbor's yard, house, life any of our business? If it directly inflicts harm, irritation or violates your rights to quiet, property ownership, or is a flagrant abuse of kids or animals (torture, beatings, incest or bestiality) then I can see maybe becoming involved and making it stop. Otherwise, find a better use of your time...volunteer at the local nursing home, take in foster children, grow food for the hungry...whatever it takes to keep you busy and out of your neighbor's business!

Sorry, but things like that cook my grits! I don't care if my neighbor was hanging his Nazi flags on his line....I would merely look over and think, "Hmmm, must be pretty sensible to line dry instead of using his dryer!" :lol: :p :coolsun