Just starting out with Chicks already worried about winter

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes I do! Seems as if I had a moment of panic and blanked on what to do :lol: Thank goodness for like-minded folks to help steer me back! We aren't even into summer yet and my mind went to OMG, but what about WINTER!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When you get around to building a coop, the Wood's style coop was most often used in your neck of the woods in the early 1900s. It's a style that can't be beat for keeping the chickens sheltered but also with plenty of light and air. This particular design of coops promotes a passive air flow to remove humidity in the roost area, thus preventing frostbite issues.

55557_img_1353.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We have chickens housed in a free-standing coop and in a barn. The barn chickens are kept in with floor-to-ceiling snow fence. We end up running heat lamp in both. The main difference between the two is the coop has wood floor so we can't do deep litter method, while the barn has concrete floor and I can do deep litter method. Deep litter can raise the temperature, although I don't know it can make a difference in an open barn (versus a tight coop).

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am envious of that coop! We were thinking that we won't be running electric to another building so for winter ease of not shoveling, hauling water and lighting would be better in the barn that has electricity.... I'm going to try to talk dh into an addition to it. :rolleyes:doubt it. But i can dream lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My chickens do fine in their coop with deep litter. No heat lamps. I had a fantastic heated water bucket but that broke... Need to make something new for this winter because banging out ice 3x/day gets old far before winter is over!

samssimonsays

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My chickens do fine in their coop with deep litter. No heat lamps. I had a fantastic heated water bucket but that broke... Need to make something new for this winter because banging out ice 3x/day gets old far before winter is over!
With the rabbits i had three sets of dishes and two five gallon Pales..... Each time I'd haul out the thawed ones and fill with warm water. Toss frozen into the bucket and bring in to thaw. I did the same for goats this winter. Rotated five gallon pails into the house to thaw.