Just wanted to say....

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's great, Clucky. You'll fit right in here!

My son helped me build our current coop. It's large and airy (12'x 22'), and is attached to the end of the shop. Almost all of it was free or greatly reduced. The nursery panels were 75 or 80% off and the windows were from a thrift shop. The hardware cloth and screws were just about all we paid full price for. The birds in this picture were a group of chicks. The full grown ones are rarely in the coop during the day. View attachment 12479

LOVE those little stairs to the nests! Hadn't seen that before and it's cute...bet you got that set of steps for free, didn't you? :D

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I build most of our stuff. We did hire out the 36’x36’ horse barn and the 54’x12’ screened front porch, those were above my pay grade. LOL I built the Pig Palace while DH was gone for a week. I build all chicken coops, chicken tractors, working on a playhouse for the grands.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Power tools are the great gender equalizer! Again... if more women who COULD... WOULD... learn how to handle power tools! We would then see many generations of women who don't have to sit around and wait for the man to do what we are capable of doing for ourselves. That frees up time for families to spend on recreational pursuits.

For that matter, DIY is becoming a lost art for men AND women. Many folks would rather work themselves into debt to pay someone to do what they can easily do themselves.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some things here would never be done if not for MY doing them. :D Not always "picture perfect" but works. Also, you will find most of us use free or second hand items, repurpose and go with it. Not only self sufficient but ecologically correct. If my chickens think laying eggs in a plot of weeds is OK, they will think nests in the coop is a mansion in winter. :lol:

Ever watch Sanford & Son? Some days I think they are here on my farm. :rolleyes: But I can't tell you how many times that stash of odd wood, tin, nuts-bolts-screws-nails, has saved my butt. And saved the wallet. $$$ not always there for the unplanned.

Like canning jars....I buy some when seen at a really low price from yards sales, etc. Next Summer, when canning, I will be happy to have and there is no need to shop at full price.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I often pick up canning jars at my "town mall" aka town dump, often brand new, still in original box, with lids intact. I get a ton of building materials, kitchen goods, material for sewing projects there! Best of all is free mulch and compost.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a dump station but, not allowed to take anything. Yep. Such a waste as some things are perfectly good and you know "one person's trash is another person's treasure"' Wish the had an area where perfectly good things could be up for the taking. NOPE. They feel we will "rummage through" & leave a mess for them to clean up.:idunno

Latest posts