Kalamata Olives (and a bit of a ramble...)

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
The "Old Man" next door's DD & SIL just went back to Florida after spending most of the winter here. They are vegan and left a bunch of food that the "Old Man" won't eat, so he brought it over to us. Among the items he brought was a huge jar of Kalamata olives in brine with red wine vinegar and EVOO. I'm not really a big fan of olives, but I don't want them to go to waste. Aside from using them as table olives to munch on or putting them in a salad or a tapenade, what can I do with them? I'm thinking bread... :drool

Anyone out there got a good, dense bread recipe that the olives will work in? :fl

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Those are great chopped up into pizza and spaghetti sauces :drool

Bread...lemme see.....do ya want to 2 pound loaf? I'll assume ya do :p

Olive Bread

1 1/4 c. water
3/4 c. chopped olives
1 tbsp. olive oil
4 c. bread flour
1 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. dried italian seasonings
1 tsp. salt
1 1/4 tsp. yeast

This is a bread machine recipe, so you blend wet ingredients first, then add the dry ingredients slowly if you don't have a bread machine. If you DO use a bread machine you add wet ingredients then dry to the machine, and then the yeast goes in last. Set the machine cycle on "basic white."

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I think I posted a recipe for sourdough olive loaf in the recipe section, probably on a sourdough thread. You could try making it with yeast if you don't have sourdough starter. It has rosemary in it and is really good. I used to follow the recipe exactly, but now I just treat it like any other bread recipe and don't do any of the fancy extra steps.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Thanks WBF and DM!

WBF - I'm still in the "Bread Making for Dummies" stage, so a few questions... :/ If I'm not using a machine, I proof the yeast in warm water with the sugar first? Then add the oil and salt, then slowly mix in the rest of the dry ingredients? When would I add the olives?

And does it have to be olive oil? I also only have AP flour...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd add the olives with the dry ingredients, or last. Yes you can/probably should proof the yeast. And yes you can use a different kind of oil. AP flour should also work just fine.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Cool! Thanks Miss Cindi!
YW! My goodness ya sound like Buffy when ya call me "Miss Cindi" :p :lol:

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Well that is your name, isn't it? :p I prefer it over WBF, but I'll call you whatever you want! :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
CheerioLounge said:
Well that is your name, isn't it? :p I prefer it over WBF, but I'll call you whatever you want! :D
Well maybe it is and maybe it aint :p :lol: It just sounds funny to me when folks put the "Miss" on the front of it but that's almost always what the boy calls me. Ya'll are just funny :p

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
CheerioLounge said:
Well maybe it is and maybe it aint :p :lol: It just sounds funny to me when folks put the "Miss" on the front of it but that's almost always what the boy calls me. Ya'll are just funny :p
I think it was Buff that got me calling you that! As kids we were taught to call women who would allow us to use their first name Miss " ". I just think it's respectful.

Latest posts