Karanleaf's SS Journal "Life Building on the Gravy Ranch"

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Lovechooks said:
Now that is a wicked greenhouse! I love it! Your obviously very horticulturally clever.
Thank you, :hugs Thank you all for the complements on the Greenhouse. I don't know about being a clever horticulturalist , I do love to grow things. But DH is the clever one behind the building of the Greenhouse. :bow He worked it from paper to reality. :clap He is enjoying the greenhouse business very much. Almost as much as I am. :ya

:frow Karan :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Love your greenhouse. Your DH did a great job.

Thanks for sharing the pics of your horses.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ohh Boy it's gona be another Hot one today :th I got a bit of a sunburn on my upper back yesterday while cleaning through plants :somad Ouch

Repotted 106 tomato plants and a few flowers.
Going to do some house cleaning today while I fix DH grilled Chicken and kohlrabi for late lunch. Then going to the inlaws for fresh baked rhubarb cobbler :woot

:thumbsup HAPPY FATHER'S DAY TO YOU DAD'S :thumbsup

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I just went back and look at your greenhouse. How did I miss that? You and I have alot in common. I love to be in the dirt and grow things as well. I have a greenhouse like that, but yours is bigger than mine. :( :lol:

I think mine is a 12 x 36. I also have a smaller one (Rion Green Giant 8 x 20) that is my germination house. I have a seperate storage building that I use for pots, trays, etc. Although, I am envious over your shelving. I have yet to add proper shelves in my big greenhouse.

Do you sell your plants? Next year will be my 3rd year selling. I've sold out both years and have been asked if I have more. I did find out this year that I need to be certified. So, I'll have to be inspected next year.

I noticed all the snow in one of your pics. What part of the country are you in?

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm late, but :welcome

DH and I met at a Mother Earth News Chapter Meeting in 1982. I organized it. It was love at first sight for both of us. love
We have been together ever since. This Feb 14th will be our 25th wedding anniversary.
So, are there any chapter meetings in OH? :D Cool story.

I love your greenhouse too. I happen to know 3 different families that do greenhouses and sales. It is a lot of work. My thumb isn't that green.

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Punkin, I am glad to know someone else that I can bend an ear on the greenhouse ins and outs. We live in the very north edge of Missouri pretty close to center of the State line with Iowa. I am in zone 5. DH made the tables, he designed them from the older ones we got from the original Glenwood Greenhouse. My adopted Uncle, he has been neighbors to my Dad for 35 years. Made them as their daughter owned the Greenhouse. Any ways Dh has made 8 so far and will make another 4 to have all new table/Benches in the big Greenhouse. The older ones I will paint again and use them for outside displays. DH plans to build me a 10 x 20 propagation / germination room attached to our exsisting moble home.
This was our fisrt year open for business. we just built the greenhouse Feb 2008. DH did a wonderful job :love he is so handy to have around.
We are clearing the area behind the moble home to start on the foundation for our Straw bale home. :woot I just can't wait. I would love to do a workshop when we get the wood framing up, for the bale in fill to be done. We have been planning this for a few years now. DH is hopefully going to have his wind genarator up this fall also. :clap trying to cut the elec bill ya know....

BeccaOH Thanks I don't know if there is a chapter in OH check with Mother and I am sure thay can get you in touch with some members in your area.
Yes the Greenhouse is a lot of work but DH and I are enjoying it so very much :love I am soo hoping this will allow me to retire in a couple of years :fl :fl

:frow Karan :D :D :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
And...of course, you are going to post pics! Karan, are you going to cob it? I just love how creative folks get with the cobbing....so many opportunities to be artistic!

karanleaf

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
And...of course, you are going to post pics! Karan, are you going to cob it? I just love how creative folks get with the cobbing....so many opportunities to be artistic!
Yes Yes and Yes we will cover it with Stucco or cob which ever term some folks want to call it. :ya I love the flow and free form of it. :love And there are soo many different directions to go. I am sure that there will be lots of new ideas every day before we are done :celebrate I love playing in the dirt and mud is just wet dirt ;) hey any new suggestions are more than appreciated.