Keeping Lettuce

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Getting ready to harvest our first lettuce leaves of the year. This is my first time growing and harvesting, and I was wondering if anyone has any methods of preserving the lettuce. I know it can't be frozen, but does anyone can it or preserve it by any other method? Can't find anything online for keeping it more than 1-2 weeks. Will blanching it do anything for us?

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As far as I know, lettuce cannot be preserved. Maybe someone else has heard of something.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've never heard of preserving it either.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lettuce doesn't really keep, you can make it last a week or so by vacuum sealing it in mason jars, but that's about it.

Succession planting and eating a lot of salad is how we manage the ongoing lettuce harvest :)

When we have a glut of anything from the garden (as always happens at some point) we take big bags of it down to the homeless shelter for their kitchen, they are very thankful for the fresh produce.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The people that sell bags of salads in supermarkets Must have some idea of how to entend the shellf life but other than keeping it cool and the right humidity I don't know how. Many fruits can be "put to sleep' or ripened by the use of gasses, that mau be the way.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In all honesty, I accidentally froze romaine lettuce and it didn't seem bad to me. Maybe I'm just not as picky as some people, but it was certainly still edible and didn't turn to slime.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
sleuth said:
Getting ready to harvest our first lettuce leaves of the year. This is my first time growing and harvesting, and I was wondering if anyone has any methods of preserving the lettuce. I know it can't be frozen, but does anyone can it or preserve it by any other method? Can't find anything online for keeping it more than 1-2 weeks. Will blanching it do anything for us?
I hear about people freezing it--especially romaine. Personally, I'd just gorge on it while it's fresh, be sure to replant for fall and freeze the heartier greens like chard, spinach, kale.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmmm, what I do is plant many different types leaf lettuces, then harvest just the bigger outer leaves for salads leaving the rest to grow new leaves. I have lettuce all winter here. My lettuce is mostly going to seed at the moment.