keeping track of prices

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How do you keep track of prices of items at the grocery store? I tried keeping a list once, but found it very cumbersome. How do you know a good deal when you see it? I can't seem to remember that a 160z jar of mayo should be $3 or $4, etc.

Inchy

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
When at the store, I just it down in a notebook I bought at the dollar store.

When I get home, I put the information into a spreadsheet.

The information I write down includes:
The store name
The item name
The item size
The date price was seen
The price
Was it regular price
Was it sale price
Was coupon involved for lower price

I only have a few places I shop at, so I can usually update the spreadsheet as I shop. I only keep track of the prices for items that I regularly purchase; like coffee, peanut butter, sugar, flour, grains.

edited for clarity

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have kept the receipt from grocery stores for a couple of years (not the actual receipts lol -just keep those a few months.) Most places I shop have computer generated descriptions on them, Now I don't take them with me but I don't see why you couldn't put them into an envelope and take a few months worth with you when you go. If the store doesn't put the item description next to the price, you could just jot it down yourself.
When I haven't cleared out my receipt basket in a long time, it is interesting to see how the prices have changed. Sometimes they have changed less than the impression I have of it- sometimes I can't believe the change in price. This kind of checking out has made me switch products or places I buy thing.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, its a challenge to do a list. I use the above mentioned methods. I save all grocery (and gas LOL)receipts for 2 month and compare. I keep mental notes. And the biggest thing is by keeping that list that is so cumbersome, is that you will find a pattern of sales to see what is on sale what months. Somewhere online I found a list that explains the best deals for the months but I cannot find it. I can pretty much tell now that I am used to my area, what will be on sale when. I also always look up my local stores flyers for the week and see what their loss leaders are for the week, that helps me from running around too much.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Because I use a lot of coupons I needed a very simple way to track prices and how quickly we used things. I found the simplest way for me was to keep a sharpie in the kitchen and pull it out while I was putting away groceries....I write down the price I paid and the date. This way when I am pulling stuff out of the pantry I see the price and it helps me to remember what I typically pay.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I've been using my Palm PDA and a program called HandyShopper (freeware) for years. It keeps track of prices, stores, products, coupons, etc. Great little device!

Homesteadmamma

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My grocery list is pretty consistent. It isn't that hard to keep track in my head whether something is the same price or not. I also work within a 5 cent acceptability range. I can remember what the price of beans were last month, but I couldn't tell ya what you just said 10 min. ago. My brainn just works funny!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You all sound like you really got it together! If I make a list I'm likely to forget where I put it. Usually making a list helps me remember though.

RTRChick

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just keep a few reciepts with me (mostly because I stuff them in my purse after paying) , I always buy the same type of stuffs sooo if something seems a bit off I dig and pull out my reciept...

Probably not the best method, but the easiest when I'm shopping with DH and don't have time to stand there and ponder like I would if I was alone.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
um...oh...I am ashamed to confess that I don't keep track...:rolleyes:

Latest posts