Kefir Cheese anyone?

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone is using their kefir to make cheese? And if so, what kinds?
I've been to "Dom's Kefir Cheese Making Site" at http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir_cheese.html and made a few batches of Kefir Leban, which seems to be the base for all his/her (?) kefir cheese recipes. I started out adding seasonings and such and tried serving it as a dip or a spread. Yummy, but not something I could eat everyday (Just me).
Yesterday I mixed a 1/2 tsp. or so of commercially prepared "salad seasoning" into a small batch of kefir that had been draining in a cheese press for a couple of days. Today, I broke it into chunks, poured EVOO over the top and put it into my salad. Wow... it was REALLY good. THAT, I could eat everyday.
The next thing I would like to try is the kefir feta... so, if you've used your kefir to make cheeses, I'd really like to hear about it.

Edited because I never remember to proof read for stray letters & left out words...

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Doers kefir cream cheese behave the same as regular cream cheese? (does it melt?) Ooooh! I bet it would be lovely in a stroganoff... hmmmm

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used kefir in a cheese recipe once, a rennet recipe. I used the kefir in place of culturing the milk before the renneting step. It came out WAY too sour for my taste. I prefer a sharp cheese, and didn't like the sourness.

However, I do love to drain the kefir and make that kind of "cheese" and use it for many things, mainly dips and dressings. Super-yum!