Kefir Grains

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have very healthy Milk Kefir Grains. When treated right, they will triple in size in weeks. There are smoothies, soft cheeses, hard cheese and ricotta type cheeses that can be made with this very healthy culture. It acts as a probiotic and can be used by humans, dogs, chickens............ and probably more.
I have no problem mailing them out to someone in need of trying this AMAZING grain.
PM me and we will chat about mail options.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I'd want some, but knowing my ability to remain consistent, I'd probably kill them :-/

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
I'd want some, but knowing my ability to remain consistent, I'd probably kill them :-/
I understand that! They are something you need to be consistant with. You can make them slow down by putting them in the fridge. But, it doesnt seem to be something you want to do often. It takes me anywhere from 3-15 minutes a day with them. Depending on what I am using them for.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Very interesting. I think I would benefit, but the consistency is my concern. We tend to not be near as consistent as we should be with most things, and I hate to invest a lot in something and then screw it up :(
Maybe someday...

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I got some grains from citylife about a month ago. I have already shared some with someone else and now I have plenty more! Its so easy and quick to do. She ships nice grains and mine have grown very quickly. If you have been thinking about getting some kefir grains, I highly recommend getting some from citylife!

rd200

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Question about the grains....
I dont use a whole lot of Kefir, maybe 2 quarts a week or 3. So, i make the kefir, and then strain them out of my raw milk and then throw them in a canning jar and put them in the fridge until next week when i need them again. Is that OK?? Ive had mine maybe 2 months and i think they have only doubled in size. Im just not sure what i would do with more kefir?? How long can you keep them in the milk?? I put them in there for 24 hours and then take them out. Im just concerned im not treating them right, but i want to keep them going. Suggestions??

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
oh pick me pick me...PLease..
I have thought of getting started with this...
have read some.
would try and give your grains a good home..

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
rd200 said:
Question about the grains....
I dont use a whole lot of Kefir, maybe 2 quarts a week or 3. So, i make the kefir, and then strain them out of my raw milk and then throw them in a canning jar and put them in the fridge until next week when i need them again. Is that OK?? Ive had mine maybe 2 months and i think they have only doubled in size. Im just not sure what i would do with more kefir?? How long can you keep them in the milk?? I put them in there for 24 hours and then take them out. Im just concerned im not treating them right, but i want to keep them going. Suggestions??
Do just as you are doing, but put some milk in the jar with the grains. Refrigerated the process is slowed way down; the grains have some milk to work on, but slowly. I have (by accident and inattention) left grains in milk in the refrigerator over the winter months, and when I finally remembered they were there the grains were healthy, and the milk/kefir was still drinkable.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to try this but I don't have access to raw milk at this time. Are there any other substitutes that could be used in place of raw milk?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dawn419 said:
I would love to try this but I don't have access to raw milk at this time. Are there any other substitutes that could be used in place of raw milk?
Raw milk isn't necessary - use what you have. I don't have access to raw milk here, and have used both 2% and whole homogenized, pasteurized milk with no problem. I use organic whole milk now, but have used reg. milk in the past.