Kefir Grains

goatilocks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just use whole cows milk from the grocery store. It hasnt mattered with mine at all. I have grains and kefir coming out of my ears. :lol:

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rd200 said:
Question about the grains....
I dont use a whole lot of Kefir, maybe 2 quarts a week or 3. So, i make the kefir, and then strain them out of my raw milk and then throw them in a canning jar and put them in the fridge until next week when i need them again. Is that OK?? Ive had mine maybe 2 months and i think they have only doubled in size. Im just not sure what i would do with more kefir?? How long can you keep them in the milk?? I put them in there for 24 hours and then take them out. Im just concerned im not treating them right, but i want to keep them going. Suggestions??
If you have 2 or 3 tbls of kefir grains all they really need for food is around 8-10 ounces of food every 12-24 hours depending on the temperature of your home. Or you can cut down your grains and use one tbls to 8 oz of 2% milk. If you want to slow it down put it in the fridge in milk. Personally..... I would strain and change the milk weekly.
If you have extra grains, find others looking for some. Grind them up in your smoothy, feed them to your chickens/dogs, toss them in your compost, putting kefir whey in your garden will add calcium to the soil. Use the grains or whey to lacto-ferment cabage and make kraut or use with other veggies. See Dom's kefir website........ do a search.
If you have chickens, you will find they LOVE! kefir curds. So, on that note, there are cheeses you can make with it.
Hope this is helpful

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh yes, my dogs and chickens fight over the kefir I give them. I have to lock the dogs up and give the chickens theirs, then the dogs get their part separate or they drink it all.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Other things you can do with kefir grains is let them ferment abit longer then normal and have the milk seperate to curds and whey. Strain the curds through some cheese cloth for about 12 hours and you will have a ricotta type product. Its great on grilled fruit with some honey and cinnamon. I use the milk for marinades or tenderinzing.(like you would buttermilk) I also make soft cheeses with it, straining it several times, salting and adding herbs. Its fun to experiment with it.
You can use the whey to pickle things and it seems to work faster then traditional salt and vinegar.