keljonma's Front Porch - Settling in and adjusting

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
It's 98 degrees here today, but today is my day off this week, so I am canning. Hot work, but I'm happy to have those 12 pints of crockpot marinara and 20 pints of tomatoes in juice in the pantry, though. Our paste tomatoes are just about done for the year, there are about a dozen green ones left on the vines. The slicers are just starting to ripen.

I made a jar of fig/vanilla jam the other day, and harvested 60 more figs today, which are waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Maybe fig bars.

In exchange for some of our comb honey, our neighbor gave us some of his organic peaches the other day. I made peach ice cream with them. Our house isn't climate-controlled, so the churn never got the mix completely frozen. My fault, because it was 113 outside, and probably in the 80s in the house. But it is yummy stuff and I "needed ice cream"! :D

I have our organic apples in the crockpot now for apple butter, which will have to go into the canner later, or maybe tomorrow after work. I put the peels & cores in the freezer for pectin-making another day.

I am still straining the honey (I use a spaghetti colander), and I've already had two people call to purchase some. I was surprised because we usually gift it to people (mostly family). Local raw honey sells for $9/pound here. Decisions, decisions.

I was hoping to get some beeswax into the solar melter today, but it needs another rinse, and I forgot to take last year's out of the freezer to thaw. If I could just get out of my way, I may actually get something done! LOL

I'm off to make some pickles with the summer squash now... and maybe think of something for dinner when TR get home.

Have fun!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When you figure out how to get out of your way, please post it so the rest of us know how to as well!