Kiddo garden!

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
peas, radishes and cucumbers are easy and quick enough. leaves and sprouts are also good from peas and radishes.

beans i like and some earlier ones are quick too. of course it helps if the kids like to eat them.

realize though that it is likely you will still be doing most of the work. don't complain or be negative as that makes it less of a good memory and also less drama too overall. just do what you can and accept whatever they can or will do to help out. also the general idea of having chores and habits is important but i've always been fairly willing no matter what so that wasn't a struggle for me. with children these days i'm not sure how that actually goes... i guess i should just say good luck here and hope for the best. :)

some creeping thymes aren't super fast growers to cover a large area so you may need more plants (or plugs) to cover and then weeding to make sure they don't get overrun themselves since they are low growing plants. it takes a lot of finicky weeding to get them going and then as they are established the weeding task gets easier but it still takes time and children may not be capable of doing that kind of work. as you get older and enjoy it more then you can do it. i was not patient enough for sure...
I didn’t realize it took so long for thyme to take hold! I would love some soft ground cover but the most important is easy and food. I don’t have a lot of time right now lol.
Oh and these guys do love their vegetables. Their momma raises them right. They are willing to help out too, so they might end up taking some home or picking their dinner but I’m not planning on the help.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We also love to do a pollinator garden, they love watching the butterflies and hummingbirds, as well as our bees!
Butterflies are fun for kids 👍

But I try and not intentionally attract them. Around here with all the prairie lands, the moths and butterflies are thick. So I pretty much have to stay on top of applying Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) or there would be no hope for cabbages or tomatoes & peppers, with cabbage lopers and horn worms.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
peas, radishes and cucumbers are easy and quick enough. leaves and sprouts are also good from peas and radishes.

beans i like and some earlier ones are quick too. of course it helps if the kids like to eat them.

realize though that it is likely you will still be doing most of the work. don't complain or be negative as that makes it less of a good memory and also less drama too overall. just do what you can and accept whatever they can or will do to help out. also the general idea of having chores and habits is important but i've always been fairly willing no matter what so that wasn't a struggle for me. with children these days i'm not sure how that actually goes... i guess i should just say good luck here and hope for the best. :)

some creeping thymes aren't super fast growers to cover a large area so you may need more plants (or plugs) to cover and then weeding to make sure they don't get overrun themselves since they are low growing plants. it takes a lot of finicky weeding to get them going and then as they are established the weeding task gets easier but it still takes time and children may not be capable of doing that kind of work. as you get older and enjoy it more then you can do it. i was not patient enough for sure...

Messybun

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I should clarify a little bit. These aren’t my kids and won’t be expected to do any of the work. They are my friend’s kids, and I was hoping to make my garden something they would like to play in when they come over. If they eat what’s available that’s fine, I want to make sure the stuff is edible and there are fun projects (like naming their pumpkins or painting plant identification stones) but the use will be for my family. But if I’m making something useful make it fun too, right?
I Now definitely want to incorporate a butterfly patch and some other stuff too! Thanks already y’all!