Kidney Stones ARGH!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Was in the ER until 3:00 this morning with my husband. He had unbearable pain and was throwing up. He finally asked me to please take him to the ER around 7:30 last night. We got in real quick, but no pain meds were given until around 10:00. I don't know what they gave him, but he was completely loopy in about 10 minutes. A scan was finally done at 1:00 a.m. and they found he has a 5mm stone in his urinary tract, plus lots more still in his kidney(s).

He had complained last weekend of pain, but nothing like last night. The whole time I was thinking he had really bad gas and was being a wuss. :lol: Poor guy.

Anyway, it's time for drinking lots and lots and lots of water. Hopefully he'll be able to pass the stone without any further medical intervention.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Tell him to suck it up and act like a man. And that kidney stones are a piece of cake as compared to giving birth. :p

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
no, no. Went through this with the wife with the first child. I saw a study that women (in general) have MUCH higher pain tolerance levels than men.

apples-to-oranges comparsion.... :p

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH had one as a child. Got into the habit of drinking a LOT of water because that was how he was able to pass it. Make sure it's not "hard" water (careful that there isn't a lot of minerals adding to the problem).

Sorry to hear about it. Hope it passes quickly! :fl

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, poor thing! I've heard those are the worst pain a male can have ;) I hope it passes quickly! What about drinking acidic drinks to try to dissolve some of them?

SunshineAfterTheRain

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I've heard they're as painful as birth too. Have you heard of the apple juice remedy? I googled it once for my cousin and a bunch of different things came up. I think there's more than one version. You might find some useful info. Anyway as a kid I remember my Mom reading to me from some book that had anecdotes about natural remedies and the apple juice/kidney stone thing stuck in my mind.