1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Smoothie Recipes - Discussion Thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Killing rats with salt?

Discussion in 'Everything Else Homestead Living' started by sumi, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Nov 23, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

A few weeks ago I spotted a rat in the small shed, where my hens sleep at night. I pointed it out to my DS and said I should set a trap for it... That wasn't necessary. Within a week I found no less than TWO dead rats near the shed. DS proudly asked me if I saw them and explained that he put salt in the shed? I asked him about it and he said apparently salt kills rats. So, I did some googling and found a video on it:

Further googling found me a list of foods rodents are most attracted to, which includes salt. Now I wonder if the rats ate too much of the salt and poisoned themselves in the process? Things are certainly pointing that way, as they got killed soon after DS put the salt out there...

My hens completely ignored it, so I'd say it's safe enough for trying to eliminate rodents in and around the coop. What do you guys think? Anyone here heard of this or tried it?

2. Nov 23, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

I'd try it -- if it works on mice -- assume it would. What foods did you find? Also, chickens can be negatively affected by salt, so I would want to shield that. CATS are great on mice, if you have a good hunter. LOL right now, I don't. Need about 3 6 mo olds, taught by mom!

3. Nov 23, 2018
    sumi

4. Nov 23, 2018
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

Cats don't really work for rats. That's what dogs have been bred and used for. Cats are for mice.

I'm very curious about the salt and rats though. That would be nice if it works well

5. Nov 23, 2018
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

Yeah, that list is nothing "new" for use, LOL.

I don't have rats here, only the lowly mice. Cold and they want to come inside...:lol:

Unfortunately, with animals to feed, these mice are well nourished. Hey, just from drops of the livestock. I free range a lot of chickens, which helps with the sloppy eaters but, never get it all. I've had great success with some cats over the years. Unfortunately the only old guy left now has retired from mousing, just wants vitals served up nice now. He is NOT friendly to other cats -- he's an old, old feral tom. At about 20, he's not got a whole lot longer but, doing ok and well kept.

6. Nov 23, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

So you just put out a pan of salt and they eat all they can and die?

7. Nov 23, 2018
    sumi

DS poured just poured some of it onto the floor in the shed. I think maybe 1/3 of a cup full, if that. Apparently that did the trick?

8. Nov 24, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

bubble gum is awesome for killing rodent (mice, rats, moles, gophers, etc). It is not deadly for chickens, and as long as you make sure it isn't a sugarless gum you don't have to worry about xylitol (which is deadly to dogs). It stops up their digestive system. We have found that "Big League Chew" shredded gum is good for mice, but for gophers you might do better with bigger pieces, like a half a stick.

sumi likes this.
  9. Nov 24, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

I don't know about rodents, but a heavy saltwater mix, sprayed on the surface of wood will kill most bugs. Including wood boring ones like termites, powder post beetles etc... if you mix some borax in with the saltwater and spray it on wood it's pretty much a sure kill and also has a little wood preservatave properties as well. The key however, is to treat the wood before it becomes infested. It won't fix wood, that's already been eaten. If you want to see where you've sprayed and how thick, add some water color dye or food coloring, usally blue is the best color to use.

Mini Horses, sumi and baymule like this.
  10. Nov 24, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

I'm assuming you have to paint all the surfaces with the saltwater/borax? Would you need to redo it occasionally?