kind of recycling -latest sewing project

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
:D Very cute!!

I've been saving old kids clothing for a while, I want to make a little lap quilt or a little pillow or something out of it all. The denim/jeans are in the process of being sewn into a rag quilt, but some are so small its hard to get a nice piece off it... so I left the pockets intact on some of the squares, I figured that'll be cute to add a little stuffed animal or something in the pocket! :lol:

(the denim/jean one is for my son. My daughter will get one made of her dresses and t-shirts etc.)
Such a nice idea. My grandmother (the woman who gave birth to SS living) kept every scrap of cloth she ever had. I have one of her quilts and can recognize some of my clothes in them (and I'm over 60). They should be called memory quilts.

dreamweaver

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great idea! My grandson is all about dinosaurs, maybe I can figure out how to do one for him. I can't really sew, as in make things, but I'm really good at taking a denim shirt or T-shirt or jacket and adding to it with ribbons, lace, buttons, etc. taken from other pieces of clothing that are not wearable anymore. I've even found some intricate wedding gowns at the thrift store for pretty much nothing, and you'd pay a lot for that kind of lace in a store. It is difficult to sew, as I only use my hands, but well worth the effort.

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This past summer I used puff paint to put a turtle on one under shirt and a rooster on another and bees on yet another. My son loved them and they were very cheap play shirts for home and camp.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Great ideas and inspiration! I could even do something like that out here on the road....thanx! :)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Those T-shirts are incredibly cute! What a cool idea. Could you tell me, since I pretty new to sewing, what stitch did you use to sew them on?

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its an applique stitch, which is just a really tight zigzag. You'll need to make the stitch length very short. It also helps if you have an applique foot, which is clear, so you can see exactly where the needle is going.

All of you who try something like this be sure to post pics!