Kit fine until yesterday and was stiff but alive today died

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
Holland Lopp doe had 3 kits 2 were born dead.
This one seemed just fine and getting fat and healthy looking until yesterday. DD said bunny was stiff ish, but alive.
Today went and checked on baby and was stiff but alive. I massaged it and it loosened up some put it back in nest and checked on it again and it was dead. The kit was 8 days old today.

What could have caused this? Does it sound like it got sick? or injured?

My DD13 is going to be heart broke. But I don't want to re breed and have same thing happen if it was a disease or can be prevented.

Thanks in advance!!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Was that her first litter? I have known of first time moms losing their first litter, then subsequent ones do fine. Good luck on what ever you choose to do.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago I raised show rabbits. I had 300 or so...... It is not unsual for does to lose their litters, even seasoned "Moms". The kit might not have been getting enough to eat. It is warming up now, so I wouldn't rebreed. Does can have heatstroke when pregnant. Wait until fall and try again. Rabbits sometimes have high mortality rates, sometimes not. There is no golden rule of if you do this, it will all be ok. Tell your DD13 not to lose heart and don't give up on rabbits. Try again in the fall.