Kitten spayed, natural after-care

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lucy is getting spayed today and I was wondering if anyone here does anything special for recovery? I really need to study up on natural feline care, so if there's any websites you can point me to it would be very helpful :) Wish I'd thought of this last week :p.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
http://anc.animalcarehospital.com/page8.htm

Check this site!
You will be given specific written instructions when you take your pet home from the hospital. Most animals do fine with no special aftercare other than a lot of TLC. However, there are a few precautions that we ask you to take just to insure the safety and health of your pet. When you come to take your pet home from the hospital they will most definitely be excited to see you. Just make sure that you dont allow them to become overly active and injure themselves. Most pets know what they can and cant handle. Also, your pet may be inclined to drink and eat excessively after returning home. Because this may result in vomiting, we recommend restricting access to food and water for an hour or so until your pet has quieted down. Then allow only small amounts for the first 8 hours. Normal feeding may resume the next day.

Many patients may not have a bowel movement for 24 to 36 hours after surgery. This is normal. If your pet experiences any problems using the bathroom or has not done so after 36 hours, you will need to contact your Veterinarian.

You will need to discourage your pet from licking or chewing at the incision or sutures. Most incisions will have sutures on the inside and will not have to be removed. Be sure to check the incision line daily for any swelling, redness, or discharge. If they appear irritated or infected, notify your Veterinarian immediately.

You may also notice a decrease in activity or appetite for one to two days following surgery. However, if your pet exhibits any of the following symptoms, please contact your Veterinarian immediately: Loss of appetite for more than 2 days, refusal to drink water after 1 day, weakness, depression, vomiting, or diarrhea.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good info, thanks! I've never had to deal with a freshly spayed pet before. I think I'll fix up the big pet kennel for her so that the dog and other cat can't bother her (because he will try, he's so obnoxious!). Since she's an outside cat I can't really control things as much as I'd like to. But I can at least put the kennel right where I can see her.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
My experience is they heal fast and generally just fine on their own.

I used to work at a textile place many years ago - and there were tons of cats due to the mice in the cotton etc... anyhoo - we (a couple of the other office ladies) and I would have to sedate them by "baiting" food, once sedated we caught them and took them to a vet, they were fixed up and put back in a cage, we then let them go in a secluded spot or a place they knew - and that was it... they were all totally wild.

my pet cats have never seemed to skip a beat, once they're back home and feel safe they're fine, they sleep so much anyway, I never noticed much change in behaviour, and never had complications from the surgery.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
if she's still a kitten, just keep the site clean, if for some reason she doesn't. barely salinated warm water.

my cat didn't know she was spayed. little retard was taking flying leaps off tall bookcases >.>

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: I guess it's really not that bad then. Silly animals.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
yeh LOL. Amira's site swelled. The vet thought she was maybe allergic to the sutures or took too many crazy leaps, but there was no infection so we just watched it for redness and it went down on its own LOL.

She's the runt of her litter and does have a lot of allergies.

Latest posts