Kitten

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
5 neighbor kids stormed my front door today with a "sick" kitten. It actually is not visibly sick. Of course their parents won't let them have it, so it is here.

I found flea dirt on it, so I gave it a good bath with professional-grade flea shampoo and flea combed it. I didn't find any live flease, so cross fingers. I'll be ALL over it like stink on poop. Her ears looked good, but I cleaned them and treated them with Ivomec. I put a drop of Ivomec on her head, neck and base of tail for good measure on the fleas. I couldn't find any information about NOT doing that. I wormed her with pyrantel too.

She's in a dog crate with a litterbox, towel and water dish. She ate her food like none other. She is SO skinny!

My fiance is gone hunting for the weekend and I bet he will FREAK OUT about this and put his foot down. :( I kinda like her. And thinking about his reaction makes me sad and lonely for when I lived in MY OWN HOUSE, with city chickens and a city goat. :(

If I get to keep her, I named her "Creature."

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Be very careful using flea shampoos or any of the flea treatments available at the store. Every summer, I see *a lot* of cats that come in for flea treatment poisoning. Hartz in particular is awful. At the vet clinics where I work, we use blue Dawn dish liquid for baths. It's great for killing fleas, and it's safe even for the little guys. It doesn't give any lasting protection, but then neither does a flea shampoo.

The only reliable preventatives are the hideously expensive ones from a vet, like Advantage and so forth.

Congrats on the kitten, I hope you get to keep it! :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
OH - I do know about Hartz. :sick I used BioGroom - best thing next to Frontline. IF this kitten stays around, we'll use Frontline. We use it on the dogs already.

The kids were like "Are you going to put a flea collar on it?" :smack :barnie

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
tortoise said:
My fiance is gone hunting for the weekend and I bet he will FREAK OUT about this and put his foot down. :( I kinda like her. And thinking about his reaction makes me sad and lonely for when I lived in MY OWN HOUSE, with city chickens and a city goat. :(

If I get to keep her, I named her "Creature."
Hmmm...if you "get" to keep her...yeah, DH was like that at first, he was so cute thinking he could "put his foot down"...heeheehee...5 cats, two dogs, & four chickens later...:lol:

Latest posts