Kitty Litter Containers

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody here had a great idea on what to do with empty kitty litter containers. I mean the ones that have lids on them and the whole bit. Seems like such a waste to throw them away but I can't think of a good way to use them. Anybody here have an idea? :hu

Thank you!
We have some old Ice cream boxes, I used them as kitty litters, I just change them every week.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody here had a great idea on what to do with empty kitty litter containers. I mean the ones that have lids on them and the whole bit. Seems like such a waste to throw them away but I can't think of a good way to use them. Anybody here have an idea? :hu

Thank you!
I planted flowers in them, They seem to hold the plants just fine. I'm actually hoping that I have more. :D:D:D

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Thank you!

They are not food safe, if that's what your asking... I would not even use them for water storage. As toxic chemicals contained in the plastic may leech into the water.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What if you used mylar bags to contain the food, and then put them in the containers? I haven't needed to use any, but it seems to me that would be viable.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Britesea Kitty litter containers would add the ability to stack nicely for storage and a hard plastic box to prevent punctures in the mylar bags. They do not seal at all. I have found spider webs in the ones in the barn - even with the lid snapped down.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If the plastic cat litter containers were food grade, I would have used them as fermenters with an o-ring to the the lid and the container. We don't have any cats any more but those cat litter containers went in the trash when we did.

I'm not sure about the 3.5 lb plastic cat food containers and if they are food grade or not. You would want to "think" since they hold dry cat food, that they would be. But I wouldn't bet my money on it.
33163_MAIN_AC_SL1500___50953.1549313412.jpg

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have plenty of buckets- Used to be able to get them for free, or at the most $1 at the bakery in the big grocery stores. Some of the free one even still had some maple or chocolate frosting inside that they didn't bother to scrape out, lol.
Now of course it's almost impossible to find them because everyone figured out they were way cheaper than buying buckets online.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have plenty of buckets- Used to be able to get them for free, or at the most $1 at the bakery in the big grocery stores. Some of the free one even still had some maple or chocolate frosting inside that they didn't bother to scrape out, lol.
Now of course it's almost impossible to find them because everyone figured out they were way cheaper than buying buckets online.

Restaurants buy a lot of there ingredients in 5 gallon food grade buckets. Pickles are ones that after a good cleaning and sanitizing make for good sauerkraut fermention buckets.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have some old Ice cream boxes, I used them as kitty litters, I just change them every week.
Clever Concepts For Recycling Kitty Litter Containers Storing Pet Food, DIY Upcycling Gardening Projects, Holiday Decorations & Costumes, Picnic Baskets & Lunch Boxes, Craft Room Containers, DIY Recycle Bins.

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

Thank you!
We have some fun recycling ideas for you to turn your leftover kitty litter containers into useful household items, rather than clutter. First off, they make great containers for dry food storage, if you have not found that out before. This is particularly useful if you have many pets with different diets.

Latest posts