1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cleaning ball caps, help please! - Discussion Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice

4. BYC Other Poultry Calendar for sale!!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  5. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Kitty Litter Containers

Discussion in 'Trash To Treasure - Joys Of Recycling' started by Avalon1984, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Feb 7, 2018
    Britesea

Britesea Super Self-Sufficient

I wouldn't want to risk the endocrine disruptor by using this long term, but for emergency use- absolutely. Even if there was some leaching, I think it would be small potatoes compared to the dangers of contaminated or NO water.
    You could also hedge your bets on this by periodically emptying and refilling the containers. Also, it would be a good idea to used a bit of bleach in the water to keep it safe in storage from any possible contamination. I believe the numbers are "21 for safety".... 2 drops of unscented household bleach per 1 liter of water.

2. Feb 7, 2018
    Calista

Calista Lovin' The Homestead

Yes, I'm already thinking like you do in changing out the water each gardening season, using it on plants and trees. Some extra peace of mind.

3. Feb 13, 2018
    Calista

Calista Lovin' The Homestead

And just a refresher on some of the many creative ways to reuse these containers:

[​IMG]

frustratedearthmother and sumi like this.
  4. Feb 13, 2018
    sumi

sumi Super Self-Sufficient Administrator

They are very useful! I like ice cream tubs for the same reason. There is so much you can do with them afterwards.

Talking of which, our local Chinese take-out sends most of their meals in lunchbox size plastic tubs with lids. I kept all the ones I go so far and reuse them to freeze fruit in for smoothies and general use around the kitchen. They are so handy! I can't believe how many I see tossed in the trash in the street bins (no, I haven't rescued any yet!)