knives

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was curious about what everybody else has chosen for a knife. I am not talking kitchen knives but a knife that you would depend on if it is all that you had. The one you take camping or hunting. I have a Ka-bar. Standard military issue fixed blade.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm still looking. I have one, a folding pocket knife w/a locking blade that I like, but I'm not sure where it is, or what brand it is.

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Like I said I have a KA-BAR which has been the choice of the military for a long time. For the money it is a very good knife. I would like to own a cold steel knife or two. But you have to be careful as they have two lines. the cheap ones made in china and the quality (read expensive) made in the USA. They are famous for the quality in their knives. check out their website for some impressive videos.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a Swiss Army, my DH has a custom knife with about a 4" blade that he's very happy with.

WendyJ

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
@Britesea, question maybe for your hubby, does he find as a lefty that any knives are better than others, or are they all pretty much interchangeable? I'm pretty much ambidextrous, wondering if that would be an issue.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
CRKT makes some very good knives. I won't buy Cold Steel anymore, a decade ago they had good knives. We have a couple good hunting knives that my husband made out of quality steel.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only time Butch (DH) ever runs into that is sometimes a custom handle is curved in such a way that it is definitely a LH or RH knife. One in particular is a knapped obsidian blade he has with a gazelle horn handle that just nestles into his left hand perfectly.
The only time he ever ran into a situation with the BLADE actually being for a RH was a couple of homemade machetes from the Philippines where the blade was beveled for right hand use rather than a regular ground blade.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, I guess I need to get a good knife. All I have is kitchen knives and I have a drawer full of those. I had a folding Case knife that my ex bought me in 1981 when we were dating and I carried it a long time. Finally gave it to my son, cause he treasures sentimental things and being a Case knife made it all the better.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd lean toward a fixed blade because it's reliable and you're less likely to cut yourself. I've had *locked* folders let go. No disaster yet, but I avoid folders for the most part.

There should be a bolster so you don't cut your pointer finger.

The blade should not be symmetric. I have one that's symmetric and it's shocking how often I pick it up wrong. At least make the handle so you have some tactile feedback if you have it backwards. Still, when you're in the thick of it and your hands are cold, seeing the blade's orientation seems to be important---at least for me. I suppose it's bad form to touch the top of the blade but I find myself doing it all the time.

I recommend either a 2.5-3 blade or for completely general purpose, 5-4" blades. You only use the base an tip of the knife most of the time but a 6" blade is long enough to use as a draw knife in a pinch.

Full tang is important to me. It make the handle creation easier.

Green River sells blanks for a reasonable price. They're 1095 steel, chromed, and very serviceble. They're not as flexible as a modern kitchen knife but it's fine for general work.