1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Support for Sumi - The Supporting Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

knives

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by elwood, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Oct 5, 2014
    elwood

elwood Power Conserver

I was curious about what everybody else has chosen for a knife. I am not talking kitchen knives but a knife that you would depend on if it is all that you had. The one you take camping or hunting. I have a Ka-bar. Standard military issue fixed blade.

2. Oct 5, 2014
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I'm still looking. I have one, a folding pocket knife w/a locking blade that I like, but I'm not sure where it is, or what brand it is.

3. Oct 5, 2014
    WendyJ

WendyJ Lovin' The Homestead

I have a Swiss army knife on my keychain, but really need to get a heavier duty knife, so will following this post with interest.

4. Oct 5, 2014
    elwood

elwood Power Conserver

Like I said I have a KA-BAR which has been the choice of the military for a long time. For the money it is a very good knife. I would like to own a cold steel knife or two. But you have to be careful as they have two lines. the cheap ones made in china and the quality (read expensive) made in the USA. They are famous for the quality in their knives. check out their website for some impressive videos.

5. Oct 5, 2014
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

I have a Swiss Army, my DH has a custom knife with about a 4" blade that he's very happy with.

6. Oct 5, 2014
    WendyJ

WendyJ Lovin' The Homestead

@Britesea, question maybe for your hubby, does he find as a lefty that any knives are better than others, or are they all pretty much interchangeable? I'm pretty much ambidextrous, wondering if that would be an issue.

7. Oct 6, 2014
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

CRKT makes some very good knives. I won't buy Cold Steel anymore, a decade ago they had good knives. We have a couple good hunting knives that my husband made out of quality steel.

8. Oct 6, 2014
    Britesea

Britesea Sustainability Master

The only time Butch (DH) ever runs into that is sometimes a custom handle is curved in such a way that it is definitely a LH or RH knife. One in particular is a knapped obsidian blade he has with a gazelle horn handle that just nestles into his left hand perfectly.
    The only time he ever ran into a situation with the BLADE actually being for a RH was a couple of homemade machetes from the Philippines where the blade was beveled for right hand use rather than a regular ground blade.

WendyJ likes this.
  9. Oct 8, 2014
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

Well, I guess I need to get a good knife. All I have is kitchen knives and I have a drawer full of those. I had a folding Case knife that my ex bought me in 1981 when we were dating and I carried it a long time. Finally gave it to my son, cause he treasures sentimental things and being a Case knife made it all the better.

10. Oct 15, 2014
    k15n1

k15n1 Almost Self-Reliant

I'd lean toward a fixed blade because it's reliable and you're less likely to cut yourself. I've had *locked* folders let go. No disaster yet, but I avoid folders for the most part.

There should be a bolster so you don't cut your pointer finger.

The blade should not be symmetric. I have one that's symmetric and it's shocking how often I pick it up wrong. At least make the handle so you have some tactile feedback if you have it backwards. Still, when you're in the thick of it and your hands are cold, seeing the blade's orientation seems to be important---at least for me. I suppose it's bad form to touch the top of the blade but I find myself doing it all the time.

I recommend either a 2.5-3 blade or for completely general purpose, 5-4" blades. You only use the base an tip of the knife most of the time but a 6" blade is long enough to use as a draw knife in a pinch.

Full tang is important to me. It make the handle creation easier.

Green River sells blanks for a reasonable price. They're 1095 steel, chromed, and very serviceble. They're not as flexible as a modern kitchen knife but it's fine for general work.