Know this is for BYC...No one responding on that site..

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I've been supplementing my chickens' diet w/ something lately....MICE! :lol: Mice are invading the barn and I've found a pretty cool way to catch them. They got into a bag of wheat and I found if I hold a bucket just so, they'll jump out of the bag and into the bucket. Then I go in the yard and call "Here chick chick chickens!!!" and then let the mouse go, and watch the pandemonium!! I felt bad for the mice for about .2 seconds, then I got over it. :D

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My chickens get lots of scraps, and things like meat fat I add to the morning mash. Mine don't seem to be shy about anything new. However I do spoil the little darlings and am alway looking for new goodies to give them. Hemp seed looks like it would be great come molting time!

LOL.... I think I was about 10 when I first saw what happens to a mouse in a chicken coop. Took about 30 seconds!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
DianeB said:
Wifezilla said:
Chia is a great seed...but it is a bit spendy. If you can get it for a good price, I would add that for sure. Hemp seed also has a good fatty acid profile. Is the price on the hemp seed better?
Hemp seed is less expensive than chia.
Wait a sec here.... are we talking about the wild marijuana seed that grows in my back field? THAT kind of hemp seed???

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Fiber hemp is not going to have to THC levels in it like the fun stuff :D When people are talking about food grade hemp seed, it's the boring stuff they are talking about.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought chia seeds in a natural store where they were running a special. It can be expensive. I sprout it and give it to them once it grows to a med length,a few times a week. They love it. Also if it is purchased and not going over well, humans benefit from it in its seed form as well. It is good for brain function or so I read.Just put a bit in homemade soups or salad dressings ,etc.
Do you recall chia pets?! I never dreamed I would be adding it to my families diet nor my chooks!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Fiber hemp is not going to have to THC levels in it like the fun stuff :D When people are talking about food grade hemp seed, it's the boring stuff they are talking about.
I have no clue what type of hemp we have. No one in this area is remotely interested in it for recreational or any use. We burned an entire acre of it when we first bought the property and didn't even get a decent headache. The plants were about 8' tall then. We finally have the bulk of it eradicated. The locals just call it 'ditch weed'.

Soooo, assuming that it's pretty low grade stuff, would it be okay to give the hens the seeds? Our visiting Euell Gibbons type son was checking every plant out here and researching. He said there are various vitamins, etc in it. He made a smoothie with some and said it tasted naaaasty.

:lol: I just had a mental image of a hen sitting there staring up at the sky, with her head waving back and forth.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
:yuckyuck LMAO!!!!:lol: :gig :lol:

I all most peed my pants!
Would those washable FP work for that as well? :hide