Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I usually take a straw (cut into 4ths to save them) and dip one end in and cover up the other with my finger to get a taste. I usually only stick it in about 2-3 inches...I think sugar may settle on the bottom, so try to take a taste test from the middle or the top too. :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a question. I don't find many things not to my taste, but I must admit that having read about kombucha it really doesn't appeal to me, sounds just a little too weird. I was talking with a friend just this weekend who has had a scoby, but let it languish too long, and threw it out. She said it was good, but wondered if taking some ACV wouldn't be just as good, and less work (and less weird). So, my question - is kombucha significantly better than ACV? And, if so, how? I like vinegar, but have never tried kombucha. I don't particularly like kefir either, but keep a culture going, for the animals and the occasional smoothie, because I know it is better for me than yogurt. If you can convince me that kombucha is worth it I will make the effort to get over the "eew!" factor.

kristenm1975

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I recently got ALL fired up about kombucha. I was drinking one of the G.T. Dave's or Synergy kombuchas a day for a whole month and decided to make my own.

I had noticed from the start of that "month of kombucha" that about 30 minutes after finishing a bottle (16 oz) I would get a wicked pain in my bladder/lower pelvis area. It would be gone as fast as it appeared though, so I blew it off. It would happen consistently after each bottle.

At about three weeks in of having 16 oz. a day, I developed the worst vaginal yeast infection I'd ever had in my life. I hadn't had any problems with yeast anywhere for at least ten years and was floored by this sudden severe attack. I was miserable for a full two weeks battling this thing.

My husband and I talked about it and realized that the only thing different in my life that might possibly cause this yeast issue was the kombucha. I agreed to take a month off from drinking it.

After the month, and after my infection was all cleared up, I finally tasted my own kombucha. I did this for two nights, drinking only about 4 oz. each time. Two nights later, the yeast infection was back in full force.

Now, maybe I'm a special case, but it seems pretty conclusive to me. All I know is, I'm so scared of ever having that happen again, I'm not drinking any of it anymore. It's hard for me because I love it so much and almost felt addicted to it. But that kind of pain sort of deters a person!

I thought I'd put this out there so people don't just rush in. It's worth starting slow and watching your body to see how it responds.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is some interesting information on my favorite site, www.westonaprice.com. My ND got me onto it. It has all kinds of stuff your body needs....can't remember now what, but one thing was something your liver makes but can get exhausted....er....something in Latin or Greek...... :D

If your kombucha doesn't ferment long enough, there will still be lots of sugar in it. I get an infection if I eat sugar in small amounts two or three days in a row. In a month, I'd be in the hospital if not on some major meds! I bet your batches weren't warm enough and not finished fermenting.