Kombucha Tea - gave it a taste

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes a batch that goes too long needs to be used as a cleaning solution or added to the goats' food! :p

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oof, I have a batch like that right now!

The scoby got all crazy this time. It looks like the surface of the moon on top, with mountains and valleys and crazy things. Last time it was perfectly smooth!

Can I give it (diluted) to my chickens? It's SOUR :tongue

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally starting my own kombucha tonight. I made the tea and added the sugar, but it's got to cool down a bit before I put the nice scoby Natalie gave me Sunday - I'm so excited! I can't wait to taste my own brew. I used two large teabags from Harney - they're sun tea bags, I figure they equal three or four teabags each.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, I have never read through this thread before. Until tonight. We found kombucha in our local coop and tried some. I wonder if my ACV experiment has broken the ice enough to suggest growing our own kombucha... ;)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It has been five days, Ann, how does your kombucha smell? Getting yummy yet?

Valmom, don't know where in VT you are, but if you ever head south on Rt 91 to Springfield, MA I have a scoby for ya!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
It smells good, and there's a new layer to the scoby, I think....I'll take a bit off the bottom later on this morning and check it out!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Free- I'm actually right on 91. Springfield is about an hour and a half away. Someday I may take you up on that! I need to find a suitable glass container, first.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
valmom said:
Free- I'm actually right on 91. Springfield is about an hour and a half away. Someday I may take you up on that! I need to find a suitable glass container, first.
I have a big glass container from Walmart just waiting for one of Free's scobies!! Got in the kitchen section where the canisters are.
: )

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Ok, it smells nice, and I took a little teeny sip out of the bottom (I've got a spigot). It's still sweet, and there's little swirlies in it. I will wait another three or four days before I taste it again.