kool-aid questions

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The amish store had huge boxes of kool-aid for 2.00 a box (I belive there are @ 40-60 packets per box) how long do you think these will keep? If you don't think they will go bad I might go bak and get some more.

I plan to keep them in gal size zip locks in a food grade 5 gal bucket. Do you think I will need moisture absorber packs?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Kool-Aid will never go bad ;) it's just food colouring, a bit of artificial flavouring, and lots of sugar.

If it is the type with sugar included, be sure that you DON'T use oxygen absorbers, you aren't supposed to use them for sugar. Besides which, sugar is one of the dozen or so foods that never goes bad :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
The amish store had huge boxes of kool-aid for 2.00 a box (I belive there are @ 40-60 packets per box) how long do you think these will keep? If you don't think they will go bad I might go bak and get some more.

I plan to keep them in gal size zip locks in a food grade 5 gal bucket. Do you think I will need moisture absorber packs?
If it is the sealed envelopes without sugar, That sealed foil pack is better than all the plastic in the world. I have packs that are more than 10 years old and they are fine. The stuff with sugar in the plastic cans, whell the ones from last year are caked so I know they picked up moiture. Still good but sort of hard to measure. Nor all plastic will provide a barrier to water vapor.
moonie op said MOISTURE not oxygen absorbers.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you are referring to the packets w/o sugar, we keep them on hand and just rotate through. I like to use them to make sherbert! Even some that we've had for years are still fine, and we just store them on a shelf in the pantry. Occasionally, the 'mixture' will get cakey. I just put it in a small bit of water, in the pitcher I'm using, and mix until it all dissolves, before adding sugar.

Can't figure out why, but I have this sudden urge to go check the local Amish store for koolaid :lol: That's a great deal!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sounds like a really good deal. I like to make home made gatoraid using those packets. It tends to your thirst and uses half the amount of sugar koolaid does. I'm south beaching right now, so its not likely I mix any, cuz I'm the main drinker of it. I can tell you that koolaid wouldn't last me long enough to worry about spoilage. Its way cheaper than cokes and would cost you less in your garbage can too. I think its a winner. I'd check into it, but I guarantee there are no Amish anywhere near here.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These are the little packets.

They only have lemon-lime, orange, tangerine (first I have ever seen this kind), a clear kind (can't remember the flavor), and mystery flavor. I think these may have been leftovers from last year, but they are still sealed in the box they came in.

My kids happen to like lemon-lime and orange.:idunno

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
These are the little packets.

They only have lemon-lime, orange, tangerine (first I have ever seen this kind), a clear kind (can't remember the flavor), and mystery flavor. I think these may have been leftovers from last year, but they are still sealed in the box they came in.

My kids happen to like lemon-lime and orange.:idunno
I like the tangerine flavor. But its not sold in my area any more, or rarely. Our stores have cut them done to only about 5 or 6 flavors. I still have some packets from a halloween special flavor from years ago. I liked it alot, so when they went reduced because it was a holiday flavor I bought all they had. It was Blackberry flavor.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I buy up the pumpkin pudding mix after the holidays, I love anything pumpkin!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use the strawberry or cherry flavor with some splenda to mix in with some plain yogert for a South Beach snack.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those things are nice for a bit of extra flavor in allot of things. I've even made "figure jell-o" with them.