Korean recipes

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I follow a lady's blog whom I assume is Korean. She eats many dishes that I am not able to pronounce. I will share her link with you perhaps you can connect with recipes that way.

http://weekofmenus.blogspot.com/

She makes some amazing dishes. I haven't attempted them but they are eye appealing ... :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Heh, you are right! I think it might be this:
http://weekofmenus.blogspot.com/2009/07/korean-chili-paste-spicy-chicken-mae-un.html

Where do you get korean chili powder? We have a few asian markets here.
Do you mean chile powder, or the chile paste, like in the recipe? You can buy Korean chile flakes by the bag at Asian markets that have Korean ingredients; they look just like the flakes one might sprinkle on a pizza. They are spicy, but not super hot (unless your tolerance is low for such things). Any sort of hot pepper flake would work though, I imaagine. Hot chile powder? I would just use cayenne myself. And the paste shouldn't be hard to find in an Asian market, especially as the blogger supplied the Korean name.
You will let us know how it turns out, won't you?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Sure, but it won't be for awhile! I'm snowed in and it looks like it might stay that way at least a few days. :idunno

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
She has some amazing dishes. I'm so German that my husband rolls his eyes when I gasp at the occasional over seasoning of chilli when I get carried away with our home grown peppers. I hope you enjoy her blog. I have been reading so many different culture's on cooking methods and styles of cooking. and things you can eat. ...

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
smurfette79 said:
She has some amazing dishes. I'm so German that my husband rolls his eyes when I gasp at the occasional over seasoning of chilli when I get carried away with our home grown peppers. I hope you enjoy her blog. I have been reading so many different culture's on cooking methods and styles of cooking. and things you can eat. ...
Are you German from Germany, or German/American? Either way, I can empathise with your husband. My DH is German from Germany; I just about fainted the first time he suggested that maybe I should have added some garlic to whatever I had just served :lol:. One of the first things I ever cooked for him was chicken in a chile sauce; he still claims I was trying to kill him! But, after 37 years with me, and 34 years in America, he is getting much better :lol:.

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, just German heritage (my sister is doing our geneology right now and we are surprised that is all we find. My father always told me we had "russian" in our blood. and we dont.. NONE. )

On a side note of this. - I found out that we were born and raised in this county where I live for 9 generations. The 10th generation came over on the boat from Germany arriving in Georgia and migrated north out of the heat i assume . lol... ok back to the regular thread-

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
smurfette79 said:
Oh, just German heritage (my sister is doing our geneology right now and we are surprised that is all we find. My father always told me we had "russian" in our blood. and we dont.. NONE. )

On a side note of this. - I found out that we were born and raised in this county where I live for 9 generations. The 10th generation came over on the boat from Germany arriving in Georgia and migrated north out of the heat i assume . lol... ok back to the regular thread-
Wait a minute - one more side track; early, early in our relationship DH (fiance, as he was then) was giving me a hard time (in fun, sort of) about "you Americans, you are always talking about being a little of this, and a little of that, and 3/16ths of the other ... we Germans, we are just German!". His mother heard this, and said "you do realize, don't you, that my maiden name is Czech?". Of course, he hadn't known that (as whenever the family had moved into Germany from Bohemia or wherever was lost in the mists of time), but he has been very quiet about my Scottish/Irish/English/and probably a bit of Dutch ancestry ever since :lol:

smurfette79

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My sister was on this wild hunt in hopes to find Irish ansestry. She is going to tour Ireland and was hoping to "be related " in some way. I'm happy with my German decent. Makes sense why I took German in school instead of like all of my friends taking Spanish.

I do wish that I had someone Italian in my family.

My DH his mom's side of the family has traced their roots back to some of the "wild west" ancestors ...- (Sorry I just realized I feel like I'm sabotaging this thread)