Kudzu blossom jelly

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Down here in Alabama we are on the verge of kudzu blooms, i have already smelled the grapish aroma in the air. My question is have any of you made kudzu blossom jelly, is it good and is it worth the effort. I am told by some folk that it is a great tasting jelly. I need a recipe if any one has one. I did a Google search for it and found a couple but something just didn't seem right with them. I want a tried and true recipe from one of y'all.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't have a recipe, but I've tried kudzu jelly. I liked it. It tasted like a cross between blueberry & grape. Kinda tart, but sweet too, but without the grape... sharpness I guess? The almost wine flavor? If that makes any sense.
I bought it at a MS gifts store near my workplace, They sell all sorts of gifty type items, all made in MS by actual people instead of assembly lines. Its my favorite store to window shop in :)

Did you know you can eat the tubes & leaves of kudzu, too?

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
kudzu is used for alot more than folks think even though it is a total pain in the rear to control. im hoping it is as good a jelly as ive been told. i saw some blossoms just a while ago but i think ill wait till they are coming in good to try it.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It really is a useful plant, though very invasive here, and not at all useful for errosion control, which is why it was planted so widely here :/ .

Let us know if you get a good recipe!