Ladies....help me out on this one UPDATE

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are many things you can do for depression and anxiety that are natural and really work and if you still need it after changing your meds let us know.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
After the birth of my second, I had the same thing, --I thought I was depressed, b/c, along with no libido, I was blah all the time. Went to the doctor and he tested my levels. I was low on testosterone too. I started taking andriol, and things picked up.

I was not on BC pills, and hadn't been for over 4 years.

Flash forward to today. It might be coincidence, it might not be, but since stopping gluten products, the only pill I take is my thyroid pill. I stopped, b/c i had no need for anymore--my pariet for gerd, celebrex for RA, (still take on occasion for flareups, but not needed every day), nor my andriol.

I have not had my levels checked since making the change, but I'm sure they are (not perfectly up there) close to in range.
People think that wrong diet has nothing to do with hormones. Here is a clear example of what may really be happening. Also, it has been noted that sometimes taking testoserone for a while will boost the system and get production going for some people, especially if they are younger. that is why repeat tests periodically are a good idea.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I wish I could be of help for you, Lori, but I've never really used any form of birth control. Was on the pill for a couple months before E and I got married, but had too many side effects (like 2 cycles a month) that I couldn't live with, so I quit.

For the most part, we've used Natural Family Planning and by keeping track of my cycles and knowing my body, we've done fairly well with NOT getting a baby unless we wanted to - except 2 times. Baby 1 (my DD) was unbeknownst to us already in the makings when we decided to try for our first baby. The second "oops" was baby number 4 (DS 3) when I miscounted my days. :p

We tend to let people who were just out right aghast over baby boy's arrival believe he was an accident, but really, he wasn't. DH and I had not seen each other in 1 month - and well, lets just say we really missed each other and baby boy is the evidence of that. :p :lol:

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
none of my suggestions would be PG appropriate, but most of the ways i know to increase libido are at least really fun!!! :D

adult play increases testosterone, as does looking at scantilly clad people.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
One thing I would think is definately going on at least the last month is your work load :ep I don't think any of us would have libido if we'd been going at your pace lately!

That aside, the thought crossed my mind that there may also be a B vitamin link? Someone with more knowledge please chime in here but don't antidepressants rob your body of B vitamins? Wouldn't that also tie in with your energy levels in general and didn't you say something about fibromyalgia? Just thoughts...

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, antidepressants are known for creating problems with B vitamins, not that your doctor would ever tell you, but antidepressants mess with the gut.

Most of your be vitamins are produced and absorbed from the gut, mostly the lower half of the small intestine. Most people don't understand that antidepressants mess with your gut. Nor do they understand the serotonin is mostly produced in the gut, not the brain. So disorders of the gut can lead to depression, as well as vitamin B deficiency.

The main causes of gut issues are poor denatured diet and parasites. Oh those parasites! They come in all shapes and forms and people who work on farms have to be especially aware.

Some cases of Fibromyalgia is caused by parasites, as well as poor enzyme processes or not enough HCL in the stomach, which by the way can contribute to having parasites, generally the microscopic kind, but not necessarily. Remember, fibroymalgia is a syndrom of symptoms and not a disease with a defined etiology.

Want to read an interesting case?

This is my blog and I've been helping along this gal Laurie get her story out
http://www.healthsalon.org/

That being said which may not relate to you at all Lori, you should ask your doctor to check your vitamin D3 and B12 levels as low levels in each are linked to depression as well as other issues. If you have been on antidepressants a good high powered multi B vitamin may be of use, as well as lots of yogurt and raw foods, but if B12 levels are border line or low you would benefit from injecitons for a while. Most b12 deficiency has to do with digestive disorder but vegetarians are quite susceptible also. .. and then who knows what an antidepressant drug could be doing?

Did you know that one of the main treatments for irritable bowel syndrome is to take Paxil? at least thats what some doctors do. You will see depression and irritable bowel combined, but I just cant imagine how someone with irritable bowel would not be depressed. Apparently the bowel symptom has to do with not enough serotonin in the gut. Paxil stimulates the production of seritonin. It works to a degree, but its not great.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Mackay, thanks so much for summing that up! It makes a lot of sense.

I've struggled with digestive issues such as not breaking down my food well, constipation, and craving carbs my whole life. When I drink my kombucha, I definately feel an increase in libido within about 15 minutes. I thought that was weird but now it makes perfect sense.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
When I drink my kombucha, I definately feel an increase in libido within about 15 minutes. I thought that was weird but now it makes perfect sense.
Can you explain that connection with libido increase and komucha? I don't really know about that product. You grow your own?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
There's a thread on kombucha tea. Basically it is a fermented drink and filled with probiotics. It's really helped with my digestion. I also take a isotonic B vitamin supplement daily. I don't know what it's doing but I definately feel it!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Thanks ladies, this has been going on for YEARS. When I told my OB that I wanted my hormone levels checked she told me to go higher on my antidepressants and see a shrink. Told me that most women my age with libido issues usually relate to mental issues.

Um, gee, thanks for making me feel like I'm crazy. I'm just about over doctors in general. I may go back to my family dr. and see if she'll do some more tests.

Hubby gets really angry cause I never feel like doing ANYTHING. Nothing gets me "going" and I haven't had the big "O" in at least 6 years and no, not even by myself (trust me I've tried the oh, 3 times I've been alone for more than 5 minutes in the last 5 years).

He just doesn't understand how I can't get excited about it EVER.