Ladies, may I ask you a question in private?

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm having a really tough time time today... it's "the change" and my hormones (or lack thereof?) have me on the roller coaster ride of my life today. between the power surges (hot flashes) and the emotional bursts, I think I'm losing my mind. I am taking Black Cohosh, and I am about 45 days into a natural rememdy I found on line - a beverage endorsed by Marie Osmond called GEM. None of it is working. I am about ready to break down and make an appointment to see my doctor for hormone replacements, unless someone has a better suggestion? I didn't see a previous thread in here addressing this issue - if I missed it, please someone direct me to the thread... I would be grateful. And perhaps not quite so pathetic.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:hugs I can't yet sympathize fully....but soon! I remember reading some stuff that may or may not be useful to you....here is one excerpt I found quickly: "Cod liver oil also has tremendous value in womens health. It can help normalize the menstrual cycle and eliminates many premenstrual discomforts. Certainly "filling the essence" is critical for improving fertility. And it is interesting to speculate whether menopause would be less of a problem if women used cod liver oil throughout their lives. The description of vitamin A as "supplementing blood and clearing heat due to deficiency"1 is a perfect treatment principle for common menopausal symptoms." This is from: http://www.westonaprice.org/The-Yin-and-Yang-of-Cod-Liver-Oil.html

Here is another:

http://www.westonaprice.org/Wise-Ch...t-for-the-Prevention-of-Women-s-Diseases.html

Of course, eliminating soy can help, too.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
:hugs I think I'll be heading up this road soon. :barnie

Not sure what I'm going to do, hormone replacement is just not for me, I couldn't even take the pill. (I did take it for a few years but stopped in my 20's due to side effects)

My sister is a few years older, and seems to be doing ok with it, we're both pretty young I think to be having this all start.

I'm interested to see what other suggestions come up.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A cup of tea fixes everything.

Oh wait....Am I channeling my grandmother again?

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I'm on the starting edge and did some informal research. Here's a few ideas:

Flax meal is one I would definitely try. It's high in Omega3 and fiber, and I use it in oatmeal or even sprinkled on food. It's good added to smoothies, and makes them thicker, but I don't drink them very often.

Yoga is wonderful for helping balance the hormones. I've known a few women that used it for that and went through easily.
The yoga teacher only had 3 hot flashes - ever.

Get a atomizer bottle (like for spraying perfume) with distilled water and a couple drops of peppermint essential oil. Mist your face and any exposed skin when you're heating up. Peppermint is naturally cooling and smells good.

"DIM" is worth checking out. It's made from broccoli but you would have to eat buckets of it to get the effect. It 's used to help the body get rid of excess hormones that are unbalancing it.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I took this off ramp 13 years ago. Had no idea it was happening, just cried all the time. Thought I was too young, so decided I was just crazy.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Oh oh oh! You could hide out in a room and write wild and beautiful prose and poetry like the lady from the Yellow Wallpaper did during her time and become famous.

But then again I'm a guy. Oops. -slaps self-

I think she killed herself anyway. :idunno

Latest posts