Ladies, may I ask you a question in private?

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm now in my 8th year of this change. Hot flashes have subsided to mostly hot flashes at nite. My anti dep help keep them down.

I had flashes happen at work, be in a meeting and all of a sudden feel this warmth come up my torso to my face, I'd have to take off my jacket or sweater, and start fanning myself. Everyone in the meeting knew what was happening and didn't make comments or anything.

Mother has had uterine cancer and breast cancer. I'm never taking any HRT's.

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
You should look into that endometrial ablation. I LOVED it. They insert a little mesh and hit a little button that totally burns out the inside lining of the uterus. No pain at all and no more periods. My oldest daughter is 34 with a bad case of PCOS so she can't have any babies. Her last period was awful, horrendous and evil but she only has maybe one a year if that so the doctor can't really justify an ablation for her. Dani is 22 and also has that same evil PCOS but I think it's a little too early for her to be throwing in the towel on having babies.
Sorry for rambling, pain meds are kicking in.
I have run in to quite a few people on the low carb forums that treated their PCOS with a low carb diet. Quite a few even got pregnant after getting their hormones/blood sugar/insulin levels under control.
http://www.lowcarb.ca/articlesb/article305.html
Oh, both of the girls have been on low carb diets. Cres really did very well and lost quite a bit of weight, cut out ALL sugar, flour and processed anything. If it wasn't some kind of veggie, usually raw or meat boy, it wasn't going in her mouth. Didn't help. She kept at it for three years. After the third year she kept up the low carb and also started on diabetes drugs and THEN they added the fertility drugs. Two more years, no babies. She's given up.
For Dani, it's not really a priority at this point. She's pretty happy with not having any periods.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Well crud! I was hoping they hadn't tried the diet yet.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
My condolences. I have just started the hot flash thing, still mostly at night (I am 54). But, I think I got lucky and had a hysterectomy about 12 years ago after nearly bleeding out from a period. (3 pints of blood and 3 days in the hospital and I was still technically anemic). Best thing that ever happened to me! Without the cues of a monthly period menopause has just sort of snuck up on me. Summer is going to be really really interesting. So far it is cold, and I can throw off the covers at night until I freeze, and then go back to sleep.

I also will never consider Premarin because of where it comes from. If it gets bad, I will try black cohosh. Taking cod liver oil already for my A and D.

Good luck, and you aren't alone!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Both my mom and I had total hysts in our 30s, but had them leave an ovary behind. She had some hot flashes now and again but never really had any other symptoms....no hairs sprouting on her chinny-chin-chin or anything. She doesn't have any symptoms now at all....lucky gal.

I have a few chin hairs that try to sneak in, but no hot flashes or mood swings yet. I do still get monthly hormonal changes that make me crave spicey, sweet or tangy foods but that's about it.

I'm sure they will come along eventually, so this thread is going to be helpful one day. I won't be taking any prescription meds either.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I was recently diagnosed with Premature Menopause. I started about 4 years ago with mild hot flashes at night, and its progressing. For the last 2 years my moods have been horrendous. You'd think I had serious mental issue. Crying, screaming, red faced anger, you name it.

I thought it would pass, but have started with Estrovin, and extra Black Cohosh, plus a multi vitamin. For the most part, it helps. Takes me down a few notches, anyway, haha. BUt the night sweats are still there :(

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That sounds horrible! :( Man, oh, man, I hope I don't go through that.....my temper is a scary thing when it's unleashed, which is why I keep it chained to the floor at ALL times, just to be safe! :p

Must be why God timed menopause to happen when most folks are done having teenagers in the home and men haven't retired yet.... :/

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It wouldn't be so bad if it was just one thing or the other - mood-swings/emotional outbursts OR power surges. But both? and at the same time? Seems like cruel & unusual punishment if ya ask me.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I strongly recommend bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. I have been doing it for almost two years. There are many health benefits to it aside from postponing many aging signs.

My doctor bases by prescription on my blood work. She tests for estrogen, progesteron, DHEA and testosterone and I supplement all of these. I really makes me feel great. I only put of with the menapausal symptoms a couple of months before I started. I take a losenge two times a day. The cost is about $60 a month and they are made by a compounding pharmacy. My insurance paid for it at one time but some changes in regulations go them off the hook for it.

So doctors determine your dosage by saliva tests but it is much more costly. Which is better is controversal.

There are also some homeopathic remedies that work very well that are combination remedies from Heel Homeopathic that can be purchases at www.iherb.com But I don't have my book with me so I will have to get back to you on that.

I absolutely would never do any drugs prescribed by conventional medicine for this problem. They have caused the premature deaths of thousands of thousands of women do the pharmaceutical industries lack of truth and honesty in reporting their drug studies. I could never never trust them again.