LADIES ONLY please -personal matter

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Last year I went to my OB/GYN for my annual check up. My doc did the breast exam and I told him that they were sensitve. He lauhghed under his voice and said to the nurse "Well, she'll really hate the mamogram then won't she" and he left the room. I've stewed about it all year. My appointment is in a week and I am going to refuse a breast exam and tell him that I think his behavior was unprofessinal and disrespectful. I'm going to find a new do after the first of the year.

I also plan to tell him that I think it is stupid that I have to go to him to get a prescription for birthcontrol pills to keep from having another child when I can go to the pharmacy and get a day after pill to remove one without a prescription. That makes no sense.

Sorry ... small rant. The man just ruins my day. Anyway, do you think his behavior was appropriate? No one in my family has ever had breast cancer. My one grandma died of lupus the other grandma was killed when she was 96. My mom has 4 sisters and none of them have had it and they are all in their late 60's and mid 50's. Needless to say I didn't get a mamogram last year.

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Perhaps he thought you were being inappropriate and was trying to break the ice kinda - does that make sense? I guess a person would need to have been there to understand the tones of voice and such.

The doc doesn't make the rules as far as prescriptions, perhaps he can give you one for a year for your pills.

I don't have any other advise other than to say make your appointments for the week after your period.

If your doctor upsets you - its probably a good idea to find another one. good luck

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thank you Wild. I just don't like the guy much. His tone of voice was so snippy. I do need to find a new doc!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
As far as needing a prescription for the Pill, it has enough potential (i.e. sometimes real) side effects that personally I think it makes a whole lot of sense to have a doctor screening people for whether they have any risk factors or medical conditions that would make its use unwise.

I don't entirely 'get' what exactly you found unprofessional and disrespectful -- speaking to the nurse about you, rather than speaking to you? or just assuming you were going to follow standard medical advice and get the mammogram done? -- but if it bothered you then for sure you should either say (or write) something to him about it, or find a different doctor you get along with better. Or both :p It does seem hard to find a doctor who is COMPLETELY unaffected by patients declining to do what the doctor recommends, though.

Good luck,

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I can understand taking offense, if I had told my doc something was sensitive and she laughed, I would probably have my feelings hurt. Like she wasn't taking my concerns seriously or something.

I hope you find a ob/gyn you are happy with.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would have laughed at the comment IF and ONLY IF I truly liked the guy. It sounds like you just don't take to him anyway ya know. Some personalities just don't gel and his comment probably came off inappropriate to you cause you kinda didn't like him anyway. Does that make sense?

If it truly bothers you then write a letter to him.....and don't go back. But it sounds like you need a new Dr. anyway....his personality isn't for you OR something about him isn't for you.

I know I want someone I like and can feel good with......everyone has that Dr. out there, so find a new one if necessary.

Day after pill....hmm...not for me. I have trouble getting PG and it took 6 years to have Nicole and that was pure God given grace...so I never took BC pills anyway. And after Nicole I tried for another fast and no happening.....so can't truly help ya on that one..LOL

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, just my .02 cents. I would not let the arrogance of that Dr. get in the way of my health. It is important to get your breast exam. A lot of people do not have cancer in their family line, yet still get it. I would go through with the necessary appt's, then be on he hunt for a new Dr. with more compassion for your feelings. You are lucky you have that choice, I have very few Dr's to choose from.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think it was very inappropriate of him.

If you'd broken your ankle and a doctor was poking around on it and you said, "It really hurts when you do that" and the doctor laughed and said to a nurse, "Whoo, just wait til we have to set it."

UNPROFESSIONAL

He should have asked if it was painful and where, or at least reassured you that sensitivity can be sometimes normal and explain what would be normal vs. what would be cause for concern. Or ask, "Does this sensitivity worry you?"

I mean, geeze, you don't just go poking around on someone's boobs and making jokes about them.

Stupid doctor... :rant

Cassandra

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Well, there's a reason why I go to women doctors for women things. The day men have to go through a mammogram type test on that special organ of theirs will be the day a new way of testing is developed! The female technicians who do my mammogram every six months are empathetic to my pain - I have to have them because they found calcifications in my left breast, and they're monitoring them. I'm very small breasted, and it hurts! Imagine putting your armpit into a vice.....:rolleyes:

That being said, it was very inappropriate, but I think the guy was trying to be light and friendly, and just wasn't thinking. I'd tell him. However, I agree with the others, I think you just don't like him, and you should definitely look into changing doctors. I know it's hard to do that, something deep inside of us thinks we're doing something wrong by changing, but seriously, the doctor is just another human. Go with your gut and find another human! ;)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If it bothered you --you can't change that. So if you feel better by going to a different dr., go to a different dr.

I don't know if they are hard to find, but if they are, then you could jsut find solace in the fact that you only have to go to him once a year.

When I lived in town, my dr.s office was jsut up the road, so the day that I had an appt, I decided to walk b/c it was a beautiful day (beautiful =hot). They didn't have the air on so when I got there, I started to get warm. In the office, talking with the dr. about the weather, I menitoned that I was hot from walking. He said--is it hot? Or are you just out of shape. I said both. But on my walk home, I started to get mad at his rude comment. I have a new dr. now.