Lady Henevere: Year in review

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I admit I haven't been following this but the title caught my eye. Have you read Nourishing Traditions yet? It is not a vegetarian book, but will help you create a healthy vegetarian diet. Just skip the chapters on meat.

One thing that really helped me (still have bouts, but I am no longer almost home-bound by my stupid digestive system!) was learning what irritates the digestive tract and what soothes it. Proper preparation of foods, especially seeds/grains, is a big key. As is removing chemical irritants from the diet, which includes things like sprout retardants on root veggies (buy organic carrots, potatoes, yams, etc) and the preserving chemicals on other veggies. Makes a HUGE difference.

Organic raw milk was amazingly healing for me, and I was EXTREMELY sensitive to any store-bought dairy. A tiny sip/bite would keep me doubled over and housebound for two days. That meant no eating at restaurants, potlucks, even friend's homes, as most don't get the severity and secretly thought I was just being a pain in the tush. I knew this because a real friend told me of comments made such as "I didn't tell her about the _____ in the recipe because there was so little. I can't see how so little could really be a problem." Sheesh.

I just ordered the book, Gut and Psychology Syndrome at the suggestion of my naturopath even though I don't have the psychological issues listed in the title. At least not that I'll admit to. :p
There's a difference between organic raw milk and non organic? does anyone even sell non organic raw milk? I can't get past the taste of goats milk for drinking or cereal, but haven't yet tried it for baking. not sure i'd be much better with raw cows milk?

Have you noticed we've started to take over Lady H's thread? :)

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
colowyo0809 said:
Have you noticed we've started to take over Lady H's thread? :)
I don't mind in the least. :)

freemotion said:
I admit I haven't been following this but the title caught my eye. Have you read Nourishing Traditions yet? It is not a vegetarian book, but will help you create a healthy vegetarian diet. Just skip the chapters on meat.

One thing that really helped me (still have bouts, but I am no longer almost home-bound by my stupid digestive system!) was learning what irritates the digestive tract and what soothes it. Proper preparation of foods, especially seeds/grains, is a big key. As is removing chemical irritants from the diet, which includes things like sprout retardants on root veggies (buy organic carrots, potatoes, yams, etc) and the preserving chemicals on other veggies. Makes a HUGE difference.
I do have Nourishing Traditions, but I thought it was very animal-protein based. I will have to pull it out again. I did make some salad dressings from that book that I liked, and some fermented veggies that I did not like. But is has been a while since I looked at it so I think I will have to take it out again.

I'm pretty sure I'm buying root veggies that don't have sprout resisting stuff on them -- since I keep growing things from the farmer's market stuff I don't use! :p

WZ, those pancakes look delicious! And I hadn't really thought about using coconut milk as a substitute, so thank you for that.

Thanks for all the good info! If you think of anything else feel free to post.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Doing my menu planning and grocery list, which I haven't done in a while. Usually I just go to the farmers' market and store and grab what looks good, and make do throughout the week, cooking once in a while and lately, eating out way too much. It's a time and exhaustion thing. I get home at 7 p.m. and have to deal with homework and scheduling and sitting down with the kids and talking through their day; sometimes it's easier to do all that when someone else is cooking and cleaning up.

But no more. The dietary restrictions are forcing a change (hopefully for the better), so I'm planning out the meals for the week. Maybe I will cook some stuff this weekend to save for weekday meals. We'll see how the weekend goes.

Anyway, I came across this food blog that's all gluten-free, grain-free, and low-carb. The non-meat stuff looks really fabulous for me, and the meat stuff looks fabulous for a lot of others on here, so I thought I would share it: http://www.health-bent.com/

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I forgot how much I like trying new recipes.

This week, life has been delicious! I have been playing with African spices, making African vegetable soup spiced with cinnamon, cumin, and turmeric, and a batch of lentils spiced with cinnamon, fresh ginger, and cayenne. Yum! I also made oven-roasted ratatouille, and greens with eggs (one of my favorite combos). I have the stuff to make sweet potatoes with adobo chipotles (so good!), but I haven't had time yet. I also got apples to bake for dessert but I ate them all raw. :p

I still haven't planted lettuce, and it's going to be another busy weekend with lots of work, a cross country meet (that will make me miss the farmers market), and a project for a cousin's baby shower next weekend. I need to find time to get some lettuce seeds and sprinkle them somewhere that gets some water from the sprinklers so I don't have to worry about killing them from neglect.

Enjoy your weekend!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! This is how we are trying to eat daily and I love new recipes also. Looks like a great blog so far.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Terrible week, food-wise. I didn't get home from work before 8 any day this week and I ate out a lot. I don't know whether I had hidden gluten in salad dressing, casein in food cooked in butter, etc. One night I was eating a bowl of butternut squash soup, and halfway through my cousin said, "Didn't we find out last time we were here that soup has cream in it?" Oops. So much for the no-allergen/anti-inflammatory diet. I'll be better this week.

I ordered some winter veggies (cauliflower, kale, chard, lettuce -- finally!) and my winter cover crops today. Hopefully I will get some time next weekend to plant them; I will be traveling this week so I may not get the chance.

So here's a crazy story: I was outside yesterday along the side of my house and I heard some rustling in the bushes. I peeked around the gate into the front yard to find a person squatting down behind a bush, peeing. She wipes with a tissue/TP, drops it on the ground, pulls up her pants, and starts to walk back toward the sidewalk. I yelled something like, "Excuse me, what do you think you're doing?" She turned around and for the first time I saw her face and it was an old woman. She didn't speak English well, and said, "I sorry, I had to, it just water," and she started walking away. I yelled for her her to pick up her trash (pointing at the tissue she left on the ground), and she said "I sorry" again, picked up the tissue, dropped it in my trash bin, and walked away.

I'm torn about this. The idea of strangers using my yard as a toilet grosses me out, especially if she decides this is a good place to stop on her morning walk and my yard starts to reek of human urine. :sick On the other hand, I feel bad for yelling at an old woman -- what if if was just an emergency and she was really desperate? (Even so, she should have picked up her tissue.)

Was I a big ol' meanie for yelling at her? What would you have done?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think I would have reacted the same way, but after thinking about it, I wonder if she has a health problem? Saying it was "just water" is kinda strange? Perhaps she took a dump at the neighbors? :gig

Sorry I couldn't resist that one. :hide

I would watch to see if it is an isolated strange incident or where she normally pees on her morning walk or something. I take medication that makes me urinate frequently and have found that I needed to "find a bush" more often as an older person than I ever did when I was young. However, someone's YARD is never an appropriate place!

Some people from foreign countries take a different view of these things, was she foreign? We had neighbors in Los Angeles who could not understand when I complained when their toddler was urinated on our front porch continually (they lived above us and he would pee down). She would either say, "He is just a baby" or "It was just pee." Like that made it okay. I had to teach his mom that in the USA it is not appropriate to urinate on other people's porches. She was genuinely perplexed at my irritation about it.
Just sayin.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I'm not sure what I would do but why did she have a tissue handy unless she knew she had incontinence issues? I wouldn't feel bad for yelling at her. Startling situation to say the least. But I would keep an eye on it. What to do if it happens again in the future? I don't know on that one.