Lard Storage

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Please bear with me...

I have done numerous searches on the site for how to store lard and have seen the question asked but not really answered (might have missed it!).

I have looked high and low for non hydrogenized lard locally (Wegmans, Food Lion, Walmart, Aldis, even Global Foods) and the only thing i found was "Natural rendered Lard" (it said "made from pig skin") at global for $5.00 for less than a quart.

I would much rather buy the deal posted by BB but do NOT want to end up throwing it out from improper storage as that much lard would last me a LOOOOOONG time!

Any info would really be appreciated.

Tom

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
navajo001 said:
Please bear with me...

I have done numerous searches on the site for how to store lard and have seen the question asked but not really answered (might have missed it!).

I have looked high and low for non hydrogenized lard locally (Wegmans, Food Lion, Walmart, Aldis, even Global Foods) and the only thing i found was "Natural rendered Lard" (it said "made from pig skin") at global for $5.00 for less than a quart.

I would much rather buy the deal posted by BB but do NOT want to end up throwing it out from improper storage as that much lard would last me a LOOOOOONG time!

Any info would really be appreciated.

Tom
The stuff I linked to, comes, regardless of amount purchased, in quart sized tubs that are frozen.
Its $7? a quart I think.
I render ours from bulk fat, and then pour it into pint jars, seal, cool and into the freezer.

If you are willing to do the work, contact your local butchers and see if they ever have grassfed beef suet or pig fat in bulk you can buy.

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
The stuff I linked to, comes, regardless of amount purchased, in quart sized tubs that are frozen.
Its $7? a quart I think.
I render ours from bulk fat, and then pour it into pint jars, seal, cool and into the freezer.

If you are willing to do the work, contact your local butchers and see if they ever have grassfed beef suet or pig fat in bulk you can buy.
AH! Now that makes more sense!

I don't have a problem rendering my own fat (OK, THAT doesn't sound right!). That was my "job" growing up when we butchered our hogs. A new butcher just opened up in town and I keep meaning to go in there to see what they've got. This is just the excuse I needed.

Just need to get the chest freezer I have been looking for.

THANKS BB!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you render your own, you can pour it hot into hot jars and they will seal. Then it will be shelf stable at room temp. This is what I do, with great success.

Be sure to render the leaf lard separately, as you likely know, as it is the highest quality and should be saved for special things.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and I can get leaf lard here, raw and whole, for $0.89 per pound...so I can make the higher quality lard for probably a bit over a buck a pound. Great deal!

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, and I can get leaf lard here, raw and whole, for $0.89 per pound...so I can make the higher quality lard for probably a bit over a buck a pound. Great deal!
WOW! That IS a good deal!

Honestly, it's been over 30 years since I helped butcher and rendered so amd WAY rusty! All I can clearly remember is cutting the fat into chunks and stirring a huge cauldron over a fire outside with a boat paddle!

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
What exactly is leaf lard?

*has an image of a butcher shop filled with trees and leaves* :hide

(Sorry, off topic, but I was just looking at this emote: :rant and realized that if I let myself, I can hear a tiny voice raging and very heavy breathing while he catches his breath! :p But I'm a little bit weird like that.)
If I remember right...

If you were to massage a pig :)lau) you'd notice lots of fat below the skin all over. That is NOT leaf fat. It is just the "all over fat" under the skin.

Now when you got to rubbing down around the belly, you'd find the leaf fat. A bit more "crumbly"? NOT the right word here.

Oh heck! I can't describe it.

Any help out there?

:plbb

navajo001

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
OK, try THIS on for size:

"Lard can be obtained from any part of the pig as long as there is a high concentration of fatty tissue. The highest grade of lard, known as leaf lard, is obtained from the "flare" visceral fat deposit surrounding the kidneys and inside the loin. Leaf lard has little pork flavor, making it ideal for use in baked goods, where it is valued for its ability to produce flaky, moist pie crusts. The next highest grade of lard is obtained from fatback, the hard subcutaneous fat between the back skin and muscle of the pig. The lowest grade (for purposes of rendering into lard) is obtained from the soft caul fat surrounding digestive organs, such as small intestines"

From Wikki

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I believe we peeled it off the inside of the ribs, near the diaphragm. It peeled rather easily in a broad, flat piece, with only a little cutting with a knife to separate it.

The rest of the fat has to be trimmed off with a knife, except the bacon on the other side (outside) of the ribs, which we could mostly peel off, too.

The leaf lard is roughly leaf shaped and flat, you can see why it is called the leaf lard. It is crumbly, like the suet in a cow is crumbly and makes the best tallow. The leaf lard makes the most tender, flaky pastry and baked goods on this planet! Super wonderfully delicious!

eta: you posted while I was typing! :p

Latest posts