Lard

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I made lard from the fat of a goat we butchered yesterday. Since it's just a small amount (almost 2 C, it was a Nigerian Dwarf) and I will be using it often (for curing my cast iron wood stove cook top and my cast iron post and pans) is it ok for me to keep it in the warmer area of my wood cookstove?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
CrownofThorns said:
I made lard from the fat of a goat we butchered yesterday. Since it's just a small amount (almost 2 C, it was a Nigerian Dwarf) and I will be using it often (for curing my cast iron wood stove cook top and my cast iron post and pans) is it ok for me to keep it in the warmer area of my wood cookstove?
I had no idea you could render lard from goat fat!!! Wow!

(I don't know the answer to your question though, sorry.)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I rendered it form my sheep, but its called tallow though. I muyst admit I havne't used it yet--it is in the freezer. I would think if you were going to use it quicckly, it would be all right on your counter. you gotta watch that it doesn;t go rancid.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't keep it in the warmest area. I keep sealed jars (lightly sealed, just the hot fat poured into warmed jars and the lid put on, not water bathed or anything) at room temp then put them in the fridge once opened. My mom kept hers in the cupboard, if I recall.