lard

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I got my first tub of lard a couple of months ago. Since it was on a shelf in the store I have kept it in a cabinet at room temperature. I got to thinking, should I have kept it in the fridge? Is it still good to use since it has been out for a while now? Help!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm....once you open it, you should put it in the fridge. Especially in Texas. My mother would make lard in the fall and store it in the very cold, uninsulated pantry (in Northern Maine), but that was colder than the fridge at times!

Give it a sniff, you will know. Or if you are unsure, use this batch to make soap!

I will be making lard soon, I hope, and I will seal it in canning jars and keep the open one in the fridge. I plan to make soap with most of it, if I can get ahold of a lot of pork fat.

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks. I'm new to using lard and wasn't thinking. Just to be safe I won't be eating it. I've never made soap, but what a great reason to learn!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Lard makes the BEST pie crust! :drool So much better for you than shortening or any hydrogenated fats. Just watch out for lard that has been partially hydrogenated. Sheesh. I can't find it, that is why I make my own.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When buying lard for eating purposes, be very careful to check the label. Avoid anything that has the words HYDROGENATED or PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED. The hydrogenation process turns a perfectly healthy natural fat in to a frankenfood that causes damage.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL

JINX! (Yours showed up first though so I lose. I guess I owe you an herbal iced tea :D )

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Is that how it works? Can I trade the iced tea for some fresh cilantro, so I can stop being a salsa heretic? :D

Blue Skys

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did know about the hydrogenated and it took a while to find one that did not say it. The first thing I did when I got home with it was make pie crust and biscuits!!!! But a new bucket is in order for me now.