Lard

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hello all. I am going to resurrect this thread because I have some questions. :D

1. Can you physically tell the diff between leaf lard and regular fat? I have a 20 lb bag of fat in my freezer and am not sure if it's all the same or what.

2. that leads to my second question. I am trying to free up freezer space so the big bag has to go. I don't think I can render it all at once. So should I thaw the whole bag and just store what I don't get to in the fridge? Or should I try to chip off a couple chunks?

3. Chunks??? I see that some folks dice the fat others recommend grinding it. I don't think I have a meat grinder. Wait I did find that old thing at the Good Will didn't I? I will have to look for it. Anyways, could I run the fat through the shredder plate on my Cuisinart? If it was partially frozen I figure it can't be worse than the Zote I stick in there. :idunno

4. Oven, or crock pot?? Which do you prefer and why?

thanks, gina

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you have a big Dutch oven you can get most of that into it and either do it stovetop or in the oven. If I have time, I do it stove top so I can scoop some rendered fat out and add more ground fat in an ongoing way and get a lot done. I use the Dutch oven because it is so much bigger than my biggest crockpot and the fat rendering seasons the cast iron. But the crockpot is a great tool, too.

I've done both the dicing and the grinding and I will ALWAYS grind it! It is more work to grind it but you get much more rendered fat from it. MUCH more. And it melts like butter when ground, takes forever when diced. You could crockpot it and scoop some out as you work, adding more as you lower the level in the crockpot. I scoop it out with a metal measuring cup with a handle and pour it through a very fine mesh tea strainer into jars. The strainer can be emptied back into the pot to extract more fat from the bits.

Leaf lard is thin and flat and roughly leaf-shaped. It is more opaque sometimes than other fat. Other fat is usually thicker and in chunks or strips. Leaf lard is more valuable so it is usually separated from the other fat.

Oh, and since you are rendering it, there is no problem with re-freezing what you don't get to. Clean-up is a pain, so I try to get it all done at once and then just clean up once.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks Free.

I think my best bet is just to get the bag out and look it all over. If I can identify the leaf lard maybe I will crock pot that as to keep it snow white. As for the rest I was thinking either my stainless stock pot, its heavy with a copper bottom or the cast iron dutch oven. Either way, one of those in the oven as well.

hummm........

What do yo think about "shredding" vs grinding?

Oh, and what the time frame here?? I am not to worried about the crock pot but if its in the oven???

g

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey baby!

1. yep the leaf is usually in big ragged "sheets" instead of trimmings

2. all at once? sure you can! just get a big ol pan. or a couple. and uh... be careful cuz you know that i totally cut my hand when i was trying to do only "some" - i had a lard inflicted injury. it sucked.

3. i totally chunk not grind. especially since its such good leavin's for the chickens - easier, faster, i dont wanna clean up a grinder and you can dice is pretty small if you'd like.

4. Oven at a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow heat. like below 180*. easier for me but it might heat up your house esp at this time of year. i've also used big cast iron pots. easy peasy. then strain it thru cheesecloth (that you'll never use again) and pour it into those roundy gladware "jar" twist-on-top containers and shove it back in the freezer. i dont any any better place to store it - some folks say you can store it in a dark cool place - mine never works out that way. and its easier to use when making pastries - easier to cut into the flour if its frozen.

:)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep render it all...but the leaf should be done separately and marked as "leaf" - its better for pastries.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ha, this lump is not fitting in my pan. It's about the size of a 22 lb turkey. See any leaf??

IMAG0438.jpg

I'm going to need to do something with it. :gig

I think I'm going to try the Cuisinart.

g

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Plan A chunks of frozen fat in the Cuisinart. ...... worked for the first 30 seconds. Then as the fat warmed from friction it gummed up the blade.

Plan B.
IMAG0441.jpg

Old fashioned hand grinder purchased at local Good Will. ......needs to be mounted on something. Works but would take approximately 6 years to grind all that fat. :th

Plan C. I think I'm going to chop it. :idunno

Looks like I need to start saving for a large heavy duty hand grinder.

g

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Plan A chunks of frozen fat in the Cuisinart. ...... worked for the first 30 seconds. Then as the fat warmed from friction it gummed up the blade.

Plan B.
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i474/TanksHill/IMAG0441.jpg
Old fashioned hand grinder purchased at local Good Will. ......needs to be mounted on something. Works but would take approximately 6 years to grind all that fat. :th

Plan C. I think I'm going to chop it. :idunno

Looks like I need to start saving for a large heavy duty hand grinder.

g
chopping does not take all that long :hugs

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
whoot! give it hell baby! (being careful... of course.....)

and nope didnt see any leaf.. but keep cuttin' and we'll see.