Large bird run done

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
how do they compare to quail or bob whites?
As what? something to eat or as wild birds? Have never eaten a guinea, if I had plenty of them, I'd try one, but for now, they are worth more to me as entertainment.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last night, right before dark, the guineas were at the gate waiting for me to open it. When I opened the gate, they ran away because I was too close to the gate. I had 2 dogs in that pasture, so I led them away from the gate, after much discussion, false starts and shallow thinking, the guineas finally came through the gate. This morning? Yup, they came through the one way cow panels and were in the yard.

I recommend guineas for ticks, bugs and loads of entertainment.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard that guineas are pretty tasty and that guinea gumbo is a thing. But, I've never tasted one either. But, I do know that quail tastes darn good! I need to find some more.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard that guineas are pretty tasty and that guinea gumbo is a thing. But, I've never tasted one either. But, I do know that quail tastes darn good! I need to find some more.
I thought that you were raising quail. I raised the courtinx (spelling?) quail once upon a time, they were small, but good. If I were to raise quail again, I would raise Bob White, I love to hear them call. They are practically gone, due to the durned fire ants.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I previously had quail. A couple years ago DH wanted some and promised he'd take care of him. He forgot to water them one too many times so I processed them. Now that I have time - I want more and they will be taken care of!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As what? something to eat or as wild birds? Have never eaten a guinea, if I had plenty of them, I'd try one, but for now, they are worth more to me as entertainment.

all ways, i'm here to learn and chatter when i have time. if you got time to write it i'll have time to read it. :)

there used to be bob whites here but i've not seen one in many years now.