Large bird run done

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are the Peking for meat? And, for that matter - are the guineas for meat? I love guineas, but the few that I've had thought there were greener pastures somewhere and they flew the coop....literally, lol.

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are the Peking for meat? And, for that matter - are the guineas for meat? I love guineas, but the few that I've had thought there were greener pastures somewhere and they flew the coop....literally, lol.

My wife really wanted the guineas. I think she just wanted more birds and was okay if they flew off. The ducks are for eggs amd eventually meat.

The stories I hear of guineas flying off are hilaripus :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had a trio and two deserted us. We were outside talking to the neighbors when their dog ran toward the fence. Two of the guineas freaked out and flew across our pasture and went down in the neighbors pasture never to be seen again. I guess they landed for a second and took off again. The other stayed around for several years and eventually disappeared too. ARGH! But, for whatever reason, I want some more. Maybe I'm the not so smart one, lol!

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ugh. Lots of shoveling yesterday granted me a huge pile of decomposing grass, leaves and chiclen poop. I hauled some off to my compost piles, but eventually just began piling it up in the large run area. That'll be a nice pile for them to scratch in.

20191117_144708.jpg