Laryngitis Cure?

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have been really sick and now am left with a random cough and my laryngitis. Its going on 2 weeks now. I have researched the topic and gargled w' salt water.
Does anyone have any other homemade remedies?? tia

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lemon juice and honey will sooth your throat.
Keep using the salt water. It won't hurt.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
I have always heard a Tbs of honey daily, or even 2x daily will help. My SIL gargles with peroxide...EEEWWWW, makes me gag....when she has a sore throat.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I was going to suggest the lemon juice and honey as well :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
As a chronic laryngitis sufferer, the only "cure" is to NOT talk. don't even whisper. Any strain on your -voicebox-, will cause it stress and not heal. Carry around a notepad and pen--put everyone on alert that they are not to make you talk. when you need to communicate--use notepad and pen.

I usually get laryngitis about two times a year. Kids know it is in their best interest ;) not to make me talk. Usually three days and its better. If it's not-go a little longer.

Honey will soothe the larynx, but only no talking will heal you quick.

ScottyG

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Like miss_thenorth says, there's not anything that'll really CURE it but rest. But if you need to feel better for a while, or use your voice for something, I highly recommend the following:

Boil water. Pour some into a bowl. Put a towel over the bowl and also over your head, so the steam can't go anywhere but to you. Breathe deeply for a while.

That'll help your nasal passages, and sinuses, and throat feel less angry.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! We have been taking a spoonful of honey 1-2x a day.
pioneergirl, dh suggested the peroxide, too but we didn't have any. i might look into that.
ScottyG, I did the 'steam bowl' too. I even added eucolyptis oil to it. It did make me feel better when I was really sick.

Thanks again, I will let you know how it turns out!
Thanks for the links, firem3, I will bookmark them when I get home.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
This what a friend of mine swears by for any throat related ailment. I'm not brave enough to try it:

Drink cider vinegar. This sore throat cure is found in several different remedies. Here are a few of the more popular ones:

For sipping: Mix 1 tablespoon each of honey and cider vinegar in 1 cup warm water.
For gargling: You'll need 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, and 1 cup warm water. Dissolve the salt in the vinegar, then mix in the water. Gargle every 15 minutes as necessary.

Latest posts