Lasagna Gardening *easy-peasy to do*

erthymom2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Check out the book or google Lasagna Gardening techniques.

I did it years ago before we set up our raised bed system. Now i use it for the chickens garden space to grow just greens cover for them to eat as treats - but it will work for veggies and flowers.

It's a no-fail way to establish a starter garden bed with no trench or row digging. You essentially lay out your plot to the size you need, layer weed-blocking materials onto that site and then lay down you composting material. plant, mulch, water and your set.

It's a nice way to start a gardenwith kids for those who have never tried gardening but want to start out small & simple without overwhelming them.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I use that a lot here- I lay down composted horse manure then cover with corregated cardboard then mulch. Then plant shrubs through - I repeat that pattern each year. So far so good. It's worked for the blueberries and other things.

I used to double dig raised beds for everything but it's simply too much work at my age. :old

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw this in a Countryside Magazine freebie I got. I'm planning raised beds this spring out here at Chez Edgemont because digging ANYTHING is a guaranteed trip to boulder-land. So you really just lay this stuff down and cut through it to plant then? How deep?