Late Season Hard Freeze Forecasted

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have saved plants before with hay and sheets. Hope your potatoes are ok tonight!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Currently, they are not forecasting below 30 for us right now. It has poured the rain for 24 hours. I think I am going to chance it. Its so muddy out there right now that walking in it would probably do more damage than anything.

Worst case scenario they die to the ground, and then re-sprout.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just planted my potatoes yesterday. I have more spuds in the ground than I've ever planted, and we are due for 3 - 6" of snow tomorrow. I put a bunch of hay over the rows, luckily, many of them are not above ground. and the cold weather will delay their sprouting. Crazy weather patterns, folks. More signs of these times.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
My phone said 30 degrees this morning. So, I thought we were in the clear.

Potato plants said otherwise. They are burnt bad. I have read different articles about it, and they supposedly will send up new vines. I guess time will tell...

Next time, I will buy the tarps and cover them up.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Do you have a sewing machine? If so, save your feed bags, cut them open, and sew them into row cover tarps.
Yes, I do! That is brilliant! Thanks

I walked out there just now. The stems are intact, and I already see new leaves coming up. I think we are in the clear.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
forecast again for the high 20sF tonight. hopefully the last below freezing night for the season. peas are still alive. strawberries have not bloomed yet, so i think all is ok here. longer range forecast says no more cold like this, not sure i believe them, but i can probably put my 2nd planting of peas in someplace if i could figure out where.

everything is in flux this season as to what we are growing. some projects i have going might have to be downscaled this year, etc. grrr!

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WE have 2 more nights of Heavy Frost/Freeze warnings, then the weather man says we will not be having any more freezes. I bet we will have another light frost or 2. Spring seems to be running long this year. Asparagus is growing pretty slow. It will start taking off when the weather warms up on Wednesday.